Mk2 swaped 2e not starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by EstonianKebab, Sep 1, 2021.

1. EstonianKebab New Member

Hello, i swaped 2.0 8v 2e engine from 1992 mk3 into 1991 mk2, it originaly had 1.6 pn in it. I wired up the engine using autodatas wiring diagram, all the sensor and other stuff have power and signals. But it won't start correctly, it "started" 2 times but not on all the cilinders and didn't have any throttle response(i have a shaky video). Timing marks on the engine doesn't line up and if i would line them up the pistons will hit the valves. So the camshaft and ignition is lined up by eye (yes i know it sounds like im total retard).
    It has spark, fuel, air but it won't start (angery noises)
    So if anyone smarter than me would have some ideas whats wrong, please help
    Also i may add that i don't have the DLC wire hooked up to anything.
    Also excuse my broken english :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you find the marker on the crank pulley doesn't line up to TDC correctly, use the mark on the flywheel instead. the outer part of the pulley can slip thanks to the rubber damper. You can verify TDC by shining a torch down spark plug hole #1 while turning engine over tiull you see piston come up to the top.

if the camshaft marks dont line up maybe the sprocket has slipped or is on backwards. with the 2E engine you can use the outer 'OT' mark rather than the inner punch mark.

for ignition timing if its early you do it like a MK2 digifant, if its late you use vagcom to put the engine into setup mode. though you may still be able to time late ones same as early, not tried this. anyway heres my thread, if not for ignition timing you can use it for timing mark reference pics:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...ose-and-tune-your-mk2-digifant-gti-8v.124949/

3. EstonianKebab New Member

Thanks for replying. I timed the engine again, confirming TDC by looking through the spark plug hole because the marks on the flywheel doesn't match up (meyby the previous owner did something with the clutch). And i got it running on all four for a few seconds. I suspect that fuel pressure isn't good enough even tho the fuel pump is for that same engine.

4. EstonianKebab New Member

Update: fuel pressure is ok. Engine starts after some cranking, doesen't idle but runs good when giving some gas and dies after about 15 seconds. And to start it again i have to crank it for some time.
    I'm out of ideas whats wrong.