Mk2 underside....

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by nawaters, Mar 10, 2019.

1. nawaters New Member

Hi all,

Been some time since I posted on here.

My mk2 doesn’t get used much nowadays, I’m looking at another “family and child friendly” car now and I’m keeping the mk2.

On the last MOT the tester said the underside is looking a little scabby on the fuel lines and brake lines.

While looking on the underside there is a few other bits I’d like to tidy up like tank straps and rear beam.
    My question relates to the fuel and brake lines.

Can you get full length braided brake lines? Would I see any benefit from a corrosion aspect?
    Should I run new hard lines, I’ve never done it before and they are over due.
    Fuel lines, on the underside these are hard lines, looking online I can’t find a decent replacement system.
    I can see that you can get flexi lines but if I’m hostess I want to sort the underside properly and not need to touch it for a few years so don’t want to put inferior parts on it.

Can anyone give me some direction or more inforation please.
    Going to look through some build threads to see what some restoration people have done.

Also, one last thing, anyone attempted to repair the gutter trims?
    Mine have perished, ordered some mint ones but they didn’t arrive mint, they came as mk3 gutters.

Thanks in advance

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Get someone with a proper flaring tool to remake the brake lines in Cunifer , they'll last for decades . A lot cheaper than braided .

On all the mk2s I work on the fuel lines are plastic ....

3. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

if you have the time and a flaring tool, the brake lines are a home job. I have no mechanical experience and did these over the course of a week, in the evenings after putting the kids to bed.

Replacing some of the end points for braided lines will make life a bit simpler.

Fuel lines are plastic on mine, not sure on the life of these but mine all look good on a 1991 model.

4. nawaters New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I will have the time as we start to have lighter evenings.
    I could probably borrow the flaring tool or worst case just buy one.

The fuel lines, are plastic to the metering head, however the ends are metal and when I try to renew I bet the plastic will shatter (it's an 88 16v KR K-Jet), also the hard piping around the fuel pump on the underside look bad, it still runs and drives but just at a point where I can refresh and wanted to know what other methods are available.

I prefer the hardline route ideally, I know it's more work but worth it.
    I've not checked build threads yet, will do soon.