Mk2 Wishbones - Aftermarket Rubbish? - Or Maybe Not?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Dave, Aug 23, 2013.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Lemforder all the way - never had an issue with any of their gear over the years.

KeithMac likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

This is from LEMFÖRDER's website.
    LEMFÖRDER is the No. 1 brand in original equipment steering and chassis components. As a trusted partner of over 50 vehicle manufacturers worldwide.
    They part of the ZF Group (Zeppelin Foundation) which includes SACHS and others.
    To my knowledge, unlike some other aftermarket suppliers, they manufacture the OEM parts that they supply as aftermarket.
    I am a big fan and have fitted SACHS Race Engineering Coil Overs to my wife's MKIV 25J and they are outstanding. When it needs a clutch I shall use a SACHS Race Engineering kit with Single Mass Flywheel.

3. Ste buck New Member

Are these the part to buy? I'm just starting a full restoration of my 1990 mk2 golf gti 16v.
    Thanks
    Ste

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

If you are referring to wishbones, then then definitely go for Lemforder if you can source them and you should not go wrong with Sachs either.

My tuppence worth of advice regarding parts sourcing for a restoration:

1 - Find genuine parts if it is possible - they are getting rare but beware of price gougers
    2 - Suspension (shocks etc.) - Bilstein/Sachs/Boge
    3 - Electrical - (Alternator, ignition, sensors etc.) Bosch/Hella/Beru
    4 - Lighting - Bosch/Hella
    5 - Body panels - This is becoming tricky as OEM/Genuine are nigh on impossible to get (unless good genuine second-hand panels can be got) and the non-OEM can be a poor fit and require a lot of fettling to square them up.
    6 - Interior bits - hopefully your interior is good but if you need bits like that Brendan Moss might be a good contact for bits and pieces.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Ste buck and Dave like this.
  5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I like what costel 1969 advises.

Ste buck likes this.
  6. Ste buck New Member

Thanks Costel1968 I really appreciate that information. Yes I was referring to the wishbones but will probably need lots of parts.