Mk3 1.8t 6 speed conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dodgy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi everyone,
    Have been collecting parts and info for putting the 1.8t into mk3.
    Still need to find the car, but have just picked up an S3 Apy engine, loom, ECU and starter, Leon cupra o2m 6 speed plus gear change.
    Ordered downpipe and epytec o2m mounts. And printing off the wiring guide from rubjonny to study.
    Few bits need clarity on, here goes...

For rear block mounting I think I need a mk3 TDI or 16v alloy item?

Do I need anything to go with the epytec adaptor for front mount, thought was complete, but then have seen pics of it welded to another mount, can I use mk3 TDI or 8v gti one if needed to weld together?

Fuel pump, mk4 1.8t in mk3 tank? Or something else?

Is there an OEM driveshaft solution for o2m and widetrack? Have read mk4 golf 6speed but longer one 20mm shortened, or fabia Vrs/Ibiza, and also see epytec sell custom ones for o2m widetrack but £480. Any suggestions on that?

Have just been out to garage and had quick look at engine, it was delivered Friday night late and in dark, presume can remove air con, keep PAS pump + alternator and fit shorter belt, is original bracket kept?
    Also looks like a big plastic pot underneath the air con with two big tubes coming out of it, what is it and is it needed? And there's a curved back and forth metal tube which again I assume is pas cooler? And not required?

Sorry for all questions, its been a while since was doing a PD engine in mk2 caddy which divorce put a stop to before got to driveshafts.
    Brake wise I have Leon cupra set up to fit.
    Should be off to breakers at weekend so any parts I would need that anyone can suggest beforehand I may be able to get. Mk3 TDI and 8v gti are there as is a mk2 golf, mk4 1.8t and A3 with an agu in it.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers Dave

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Have a word with the guys at eyptec, which rear bracket you need depends where the gearbox ends up with their mounting system. the 020 (1.8-2.0 8v) bracket is 10mm shorter than the 02a (ABF + TDI) type, I'd assume they would have set it up with the 02a brackets to give better clearance to the master cylinder

for the front bracket it'll need a bit of work, which one you start with depends on the rear bracket you use as the 020 one is 10mm long er than the 02a version to match up with the rear. This will bolt to your block, then you make up a bit of metal work to tie it into the gearbox for a bit of extra strength.

fuel pump setup would depend on your desired power levels, the mk3 gti,. 16v and late vr6 3 bar pump is ok for most 20v but if you need more theres a few options to upgrade the in-tank pump.

dont quote me on this, but from what I have seen floating about on the groups if you go 02M with widetrack you need a bora 6 speed short shaft and a mk1 fabia long shaft 6Q0407272CL. If you grab some of these if its not too much trouble could you measure the width of the 02m across the driveshaft flanges vs the gearbox you pull out the mk3, and measure up the driveshaft lengths and post up in this thread:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...engths-bare-driveshaft-lengths-wanted.155374/

yeah pull off the paircon stuff, order 20v non-ac belt. big plastic thing sounds like SAI pump, all that can be binned off and deleted from ECU map if so.

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  3. dodgy

Hi RJ, discovered it was said after posting, have removed it tonight and going to order a blank for it.
    That's the thread re driveshafts I spent ages reading few weeks ago, already have a long Vrs/Ibiza one and will be off to scrappy this weekend (240 miles away) and try to get bora one, would golf one be same presumably? Or even a Leon? I'll measure them certainly.
    I'll see if epytec can answer about the mount, thought read ages ago about using TDI ones for 1.8t and PD conversion.
    Its 210hp and will probably map to 250, not going silly,
    Thanks

4. rubjonny

If in doubt I would go 02A brackets from ABF, TDI or Ibiza 20v, clearance to the master cylinder is tight enough as it is!

yeah the same shaft is shown for golf, leon, octavia, toledo and beetle with the 2wd 02M gearbox so you should be good for all of those

erreesse likes this.
  5. dodgy

Epytec replied extremely quickly, say to use original mounts off engine, weld the front one to the adaptor and rear gearbox one appears to have slot in it in some photos so may fit either with 10mm difference. I'll grab TDI ones this weekend.
    That's great about driveshaft, I can get Leon one locally.
    Thanks rubjonny, you are a star! Do you still do loom conversion abd ecu mods, or are you snowed under? Cheers Dave

6. rubjonny

I still make looms, and am constantly snowed under :lol: the wait is around a year :(

ECU mods Toyotec/Adlai is your man, can switch off all the unused garbage for you so you dont need to use pesky resistors ;)

7. dodgy

Geez, that's almost as long a wait as Massive Attack's preorder of mezzanine anniversary edition! I know when was doing the caddy van you were up to your eyes in it, but with the conversion thread I should get it sortrd
    I'll look up toyotec for ecu.
    Sai delete, immo off, anything else suggested? Air con will be removed.

8. rubjonny

yeah ive got 2 kids now so even less free time to get them done :(

2nd lambda, sai, can delete carbon canister if you like but the mk3 has one of those so you may as well just plumb it in. any abs and airbag comms issues can be turned off at the same time, basically send it to eddie and he'll fix it up proper :)

9. dodgy

Congratulations, my lad is 16 so a good help with bits, but he's in Bristol, and me Halifax so a lot of time spent travelling, but a good scrapyard buddy.
    I'll contact about the ecu later.
    Thanks

10. rubjonny

mine are 4 and 6 so not quiiiite at a useful age but wont be long :lol:

11. dodgy

Ed was 5 when helped with my minor, including the line "Dad, do you know your hat is on fire?" When was welding it!

Mark ratcliffe likes this.
  12. Mark ratcliffe New Member

Hi new on here so bare with me I'm doing a bam conversion to a mk3 golf can I use mk 4 pedals for clutch brake and accelerator, also do I need to change power steering rack or will it run off the bam P/S pump, have got as far as mounts and gearbox setup complete so just need to prep the shell for fitting of the engine all help is muchly appreciated ty

13. Mark ratcliffe New Member

Also will need some1 to bypass immobiliser and delete a few things if any 1 can recommend some1 ty

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Send me a pm.

15. rubjonny

keep the mk3 pedal box, you can bolt the mk3 abf/tdi/vr6 hydro clutch parts straight on so no need to mess about. change the brake fluid bottle if required, often the hydro clutch master fluid fitting is there just capped off. use a mk3 clutch slave if its a 5 speed box. if its a 6 speed you'll need an adaptor fitting to convert threaded pipe to push fit on the 02M slave cylinder

your pas rack will work fine off the bam pump, you may find it doesnt clear the front crossmember if so you can fit a mk2 golf pump, swap the pump insert into it from your old pas pump so the mk3 pipe will seal properly