MK3 Air-Con in a MK2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Cian, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the terminals in the mk2 and mk3 switch plugs differ, but the mk2 has 6.3mm latched spades which are very common. if you got some plus a decent crimping tool you can make it work

2. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Jon.

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I've been looking at the wiring diagrams for both MK2 and MK3 blower switch.
    The MK3 looks to be 2.5...assume mm guage? whereas the MK2 are 1.5mm so remembering my basic physics lesson about resistance will there be a problem?

4. davidut5 Forum Member

Should be fine if you dont go full blast all the time.

5. rubjonny

what I would suggest is as I mentioned earlier, get the full speed powered up by a relay same as the factory mk2 a/c system that'll take the full speed load off your switch. the slower speeds should all be fine

6. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks again.

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Can someone give guidance re the HVAC condensation drip pipe?
    The drip pipe on the HVAC ends directly in-line with the bulkhead this obviously needs extending otherwise the carpet/underfelt will get wet. I can see on the t'Internet that MK3 Golfs seem to have a rubber/plastic pipe which diverts the drips into the engine bay. I have a few questions:
    What is the part number for the "drip pipe"? I've asked the dealers and they can't locate it!
    Is there a special grommet that seals the pipe in the bulkhead?
    What size is the hole in the bulkhead for the drip pipe (the hole I drilled is off-centre and I'm hoping I can correct it)?
    Anyone got the required parts?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. davidut5 Forum Member

This is a mk3 pn 1h0820119a.

Attached Files:

Ozgti likes this.
  9. rubjonny

£6+VAT from the dealer, this is also same part as used on the MK4 though so dead easy to find

10. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. Rang the dealers and the only one available is in Aberystwyth! Looked on that well-known auction website and as Jon has said before many people are overcharging for stuff you can buy cheaper at the dealers!
    I might go to the scrappy tomorrow and see what they have. Assume it will be the same on all VAG vehicles with aircon of that era so hopefully get it sorted. Will also look at ribbed belt pulleys 'cos I need some of them too!
    I'd really like to get the HVAC in and put everything back together and onto the next stage of installing the stuff in the engine bay.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  11. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

RESULT. Managed to get the drain pipe valve off a MK4 Golf at the scrappy today. Thanks Jon.
    David seen your pics above. Did you make custom mounts to connect the aircon condenser to your radiator? Mines an 91 GTI 8v... just tracked that your''s appears to be a 1.6?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes a 1.6 carb it was. I fitted the largest radiator maybe 675cm, as you can see in the pic is larger by 5cm than the condenser. So if you can find a smaller one by 5cm it will fit perfect. Next you have to bend both pipes inlet/outlet, and cut front top radiator support for the inlet pipe.
    The condenser inlet(from compressor) need to be as low as possible, and the outlet(lower pipe to dryer) as in the picture. Give them some heat, they bend easy. The filter/dryer is fitted under the air filter.
    As yours is a rhd car some of the info may not useful?
    If you want more pics i can take some.

13. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

So I got the HVAC unit as a whole fitted and connected the red/black MK3 HVAC wiring to the MK2 live feed and the blower worked fine using the MK3 switch on all 4 speeds.
    How do I remove the blower switch spade connectors from their connector block? so I can substitute the MK3 HVAC wiring? I tried wedging a sharp wooden skewer but that didn't seem to release the latch assume it didn't reach far enough down the spade connector?

14. rubjonny

need a decent metal thin pokey implement, a wooden one wouldn't be strong enough I dont think. mini screwdriver works well. sometimes the wires get pulled at the rear of the plug which causes the metal latches to bite into the plastic, if this happens you need to push the spade in from behind at the same time to get them released

AndyBa likes this.
  15. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Jon. The implement needs to be long and strong! I used a small rivet and now I've got one out I see what you mean the latch it is quite big so has a good grip!

16. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

With guidance from Rubjonny I have wired the blower using the MK3 wiring. I chopped the MK3 blower switch connector off and wired-up to the MK2 blower switch as below:
    White to blower switch position 1
    White/Black to blower switch position 2
    Yellow to blower switch position 3
    Red taped up but would go to switch position 4 if I had one.
    I've used the original MK2 Red/Black for the live feed.
    Tested and working.
    The dash is now loosely in and I'm hopeful it will be back together soon!

17. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Help required.

Can anyone sell me or provide the VW part number for the following. I believe it is the recirculating flap solenoid that connects to the vacuum tank.

Item 4 = Two Way Valve N63 !

https://workshop-manuals.com/volksw...nual_controls/vacuum_hose_connection_diagram/

I'm also finding it hard to locate the ribbed and V belt pulleys to convert to MK3 setup.

Just been having a surf and I suspect I also need to ensure I get a matching set from a particular MK3 engine?

I'm fitting a heated windscreen and seats along with the aircon so I guess an alternator upgrade to MK4 would probably be a good idea, so that is one less ribbed pulley I need to find.

I already have the MK3 Alternator tensioner.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  18. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

19. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Dodgy. Not sure I want to pay over £80 for the first one. Even if it is "gold plated" [:D].
    I can now do a bit more surfing!

dodgy likes this.
  20. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Update.
    Not much happening except for the fact I now have both a ribbed and V belt crank pulley and a V belt waterpump pulley (thanks for the part numbers Jon). It looks like I need to possibly replace the PAS pump since the aircon models have a longer shaft rather than a deeper dished V pulley. I also need a ribbed pulley for the alternator but think it would be prudent to upgrade to a MK3 with higher output to satisfy the additional electrical goodies (heated windscreen, heated mirrors and aircon). Can I just fit say a 90amp alternator without further mods?
    The garage is full of cr4p so there won't be much hands-on progress until the weather improves. On my last visit to the scrappy I saw a circa 2004 Polo with aircon so hopefully I can liberate some bits when the "new normal" has taken shape.
    Roll-on Spring!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021