mk3 crank case breather can it be deleted

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bazzagolfgti, Mar 30, 2013.

1. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

hi spoted on my mates mk2 8v gti that it doent have a crank case breather on the front of the block it just has a blanking plate

just asking could i blank it off on my mk 3 gti agg lump

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I currently have mine blanked off on my agg block not really sure what the implications are. I have run the engine this way for years

3. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

cool mate i have been thinking of running both crank and rocker breathers to a catch tank
    but if i can blank the crank case off
    and just run the rocker breather off to the catch tank

4. Furey

Furey Forum Member

I've always figured that part of the crankcase breather pipes role was to allow some condensing oil in the UFO to run back into the block (a nicety I suppose). The block must breathe pretty effectively through the head though or they wouldn't have run them like that for decades.

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

since my last post I switched to a mk3 rocker cover and ran both head and crank breathers. I have now blocked the crank breather as the mk3 pipe snapped.

Just last weekend I fitted the mk2 ufo onto the mk3 rocker but connected it to a temporary catch tank. Now no oil vapours are going into the inlet and the way the car accelerates has significantly improved. I wasnt expecting such a difference but I guess all that oil going into the inlet is not a good thing.

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

VW done it that way for a reason.

7. murph81 Forum Member

Whats a UFO?

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

VW did a lot of things for a lot of different reasons, most of which does not remain the same in respect of people's cars on here ;)

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

its the round thing that sits on top of the head which the breather pipe(s) go into. MK3 has a twin pipe, one goes to the inlet and the other to the crankcase. mk2 only has one going to inlet.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds liek you cured an air leak, I ran my breathers to a catch tank just to see and noticed no difference whatsoever. the 2.0 blocks can breathe a bit heavy so its best to run the block breather if you can, but if you havent noticed any issues then dont worry about it

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I did check for air leaks with some carb cleaner before hand but there was none. The improvement may have come as I am now using a stainless steel tube with samco hoses at either end to make up the pipe connecting the airbox to the TB. Before I was using around 5 chopped up bits of various inlet pipes to get the correct fitting and to be honest it wasnt very clever and probably hindered airflow and maybe even developed a leak.

I think I will eventually put the block breather back on. Need to fit a proper catch tank first.

12. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

bazza hello mate I no its a long shot and been a few years I want to run bottom brather and top breather to a catch tank but I'm stuck on how and what todo as I'm new to all sorts off mods if you could help a tab would be great cheers

13. rubjonny

not a lot to do really. run your breathers to the catch tank instead of the inlet pipework then either put a breather on your tank and block off any holes in the inlet piping, or pipe the tank back into the inlet :)

14. fandango66 New Member

Mk2 rocker cover.
    Not sure if this one is covered anywhere else but I cant find the answer anywhere. If I want to use my mk 2 rocker cover to keep the engine looking standard... which cambelt cover should I use...the side casing that goes over the belt. The Mk3 one is square at the top to match the mk3 rocker cover. I would rather use the mk2 one as it will look neater, I want a total sleeper... but if the 2E block is 1.5-2cm taller then I am worried this wont fit. I have all the bits to do both but havent got to that stage yet. Currently cleaning crud off the mk3 block.

Has anyone else used the mk2 rocker cover.

Also blanking plates ARE for sale on fleabay as of today 5 Feb 2019...item number

15. rubjonny

If you want to keep the mk2 rocker cover you have to use the mk3 belt cover and buy inner half moon piece part number 048109173D to mate up to it. MK2 cover is too short as you say, you might be able to chop up then mk3 cover to make up a piece to fill the gap I guess