MK3 Golf Aum engine brackets.

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Smithdog84, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Hi guys.
    I have an aum engine in the shed which I’m getting ready for my mk3 cabrio.
    I have the 3 engine mount brackets, but am struggling to see where the rear engine bracket goes. Does the hot side from the turbo to intercooler need to be moved?
    The part number I have on my bracket is 1h0199354H is this even the correct part??

Thanks in advance

2. Smithdog84 Forum Member

All sorted the charge pipe needs to be moved.
    Track slag pipe it is then.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for 20v into mk3 you need a set of mk3 abf/tdi or seat 20v cupra brackets to mount it up properly

erreesse likes this.
  4. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Cheers mate I have the abf brackets but it seems the hot side charge pipe is in the way of the mounting holes.

5. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Have another question about the mount brackets. the front one in particular.
    I have chopped off the nuts off the mk3 mount and welded larger ones on for the mk4 starter bolts but they don’t seem to be long enough to go through into the mount bracket bolts. many ideas any one??

6. basilknife Forum Member

What gearbox you using?
    I kept my 02a from the abc and kept the and starter.

7. Smithdog84 Forum Member

It’s a o2j mk4 5 speed box

8. rubjonny

on the mk4 do the bolts not thread into the engine block? if so you'll need to drill the threads out and use longer bolts, otherwise you'll never be able to tighten the bracket up properly. either that or weld the original size nuts back on the bracket and fit longer 02a type bolts

erreesse likes this.
  9. Smithdog84 Forum Member

don’t think they go into the block they go through starter and out back of what I think is gear box. May be it is the block.
    I have purchased some longer bolts so will see how that goes.

10. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Been a right helmet. Yes they do go into the block. So the longer bolts are no good as you said above.can not tighten properly.
    Lucky I have a spare front mount bracket in the shed so new 10 bolts have been ordered. What a tit.
    engine is still going on tomorrow. that’s what happens when you only work on the car once every 4 weeks.

11. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Thanks for the help. Engine is now in.
    May just need to change the front engine mount as it seems to be stripping the bolt thread when I put it in. Other than that all good. Just need to start putting it all back together now.

12. rubjonny

worst case chisel it off and use a normal nut instead for now, they're only welded to bracket to make your life easier :)

13. Smithdog84 Forum Member

Right I have another slight issue which i think I know the answer to but just want to confirm it here.
    The front engine bracket I’m using is that off of my 8v engine with part number 1h0199273A. it fits on the 1.8t but is about 5mm out of lining up with the mount hole.
    im guessing I need the bracket with part number 1h0199273B. or have I done some thing wrong. should also note that the drive shafts line up with the gear box so I’m thinking the other mount brackets are spot on.

thanks in advance.

erreesse likes this.
  14. rubjonny

yep thats right, since the rear 02a brackets are 10mm longer the front bracket is 10mm shorter to match. also they're a different shape so they line up with the 3rd hole on the front of the gearbox casing

erreesse likes this.
  15. Smithdog84 Forum Member

that’s what I thought. Have ordered a new bracket.
    although the one that’s on there was sold to me as a 16v one. Never mind. Live and learn.
    thanks for confirming for me mate.