Mk3 Golf Gti 8v tuning

Discussion in '8-valve' started by G--Dub, Aug 21, 2008.

1. G--Dub New Member

Im looking to get some more power out of my 8v,

What is the best way to get some more power outa the 8v engine?

2. garnetteyes Forum Member

I've heard you cam swap the cam for a MK2 PB cam, you could fit a 4-branch manifold, you could bypass the cat (if you can be bothered with the MOT heartache).

It's not the easiest engine to get a lot out of to be honest mate and cost effective wise it's probably better to swap the engine for something else.

3. G--Dub New Member

Cheers for that mate!

I just love the fast response my car has, Ive drove my mates 16v and it feels sluggish low down, but as soon as it builds up the Revs its off.

Wouldn't mind my 8v putting out around 130/150bhp, would be seriously happy, but don't want to spend major bucks.

My mate suggested Supercharging it, but

1. Couldn't afford it
    2. prob kill myself
    3. Would cost to much to run.

So if i changed the cam to a Mk2 PB Cam, 4 branch manifold with straight through exhaust by passing the cat with a air filter, what kind of power would we be talking?

Anyone on here got a fast Mk3 8v??

G

4. yetizone New Member

Hi, for a normally aspirated 8V, the cost effective procedure to extract more power used to be the following:

1. K&N (or equivalent) air filter.
    2. Freeflow performance exhaust: Miltek, Blueflame, Jetex, Sebring etc.
    4. Gas flowed cylinder head.
    5. Gas flowed manifold.
    6. High lift cam.
    7. ECU remap.

On my MK 3 8V I've replaced the air filter (Pipercross in my case) and fitted a stainless steel exhaust (Blueflame). I haven't as yet gone any further. I do believe that a gas flowed head and matched manifold is worthwhile but it is pretty expensive.

Doing the above mods made the throttle response sharper and it liberated about 8 / 10 BHP. Not a huge amount but it least you can feel the benefit for modest outlay.

I'm sure there are other things that can be done, maybe contact a good quality VW tuner? AMD, C&R Enterprises in nottingham (they used to do a lot of tuning with the old MK 1 and MK2 8 valve GTi's), Awesome in Manchester etc.

Hope that helps. YZ

5. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Mines an AGG, so far power wise all I've done is Jetex exhaust and K&N filter.

I am currently looking for a spare head to gas flow and build up with some "fruity cams.

I'm not going to bother with a manifold as the MK3 one flows well anyway, then a re-map and I'll be hoping to see the shiny side of 150 BHP.

I doubt I'll ever get much beyond that without swapping the engine out for a 20VT or summat. There doesn't really seem to be much out there for the 2L 8v [:^(]

7. L33_williams New Member

hey, i know this is an old post now but have you managed to do what you were planning, im in the same situation, with an AGG and struggling to find parts, i have found a web site claiming that i could get away with a 270 degree cam with no mods to the valve train needed and just possibly a remap.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a guy years ago on here went pretty far with NOS on his AGG

also search for VRsteve and his butchered inlet manifold. his modifications to the inlet manfiold gained 15-20bhp without any further mods. he evntually got that engine to 190bhp (on throttle bodies)