Mk3 GTi 16v cutting out!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GTiBabe, May 25, 2019.

1. GTiBabe New Member

Hi, I've had some issues with Betty. My R reg 16 valve GTi, she runs fine then just cuts out, if I'm in gear sometimes it's just a lump, the tacho drops to zero then it bumps it's self and carryies on as if nothing happened. But lately it really bucks, missfires and eventually blows a shower of black smoke out the back then runs sweet as a nut until next time.
    No frequency to it, may be twice in a week or not for months. She's done 203k miles if that helps.
    Thanks in anticipation Amy.
    PS. I've got dizzy cap, rotor arm and fuel filter coming.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Check the crank sensor, the wiring to them gets brittle and oily and they can fail.

It's down the front of the engine next to the oil filter/front engine mount.

3. GTiBabe New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a once over.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do the rest of the dials cut out as if ignition been switched off? my ignition switch started to fail intermittently. was most fun on motorway with ignition going on-off-on-off-on-off-on-oooooffff-on :lol:

5. GTiBabe New Member

Tacho deffo does, can't say I remember looking at the speedo, if, when it happens again I'll check it out.
    Thanks Amy.