Mk3 Gti Electric Windows Open On Their Own.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by PRPMANN, Jun 25, 2007.

1. PRPMANN New Member

Mk3 Gti Electric Windows, Open On Their Own. Please Help.

I Have Had To Disconect The Electric Windows Due To Them Opening On Thier Own Overnight,
    They Will Not Then Close With The Switch Until The Battery Has Been Disconected & Reconnected. There Is Also A Ticking Noise From Drivers Side Door When Windows Are Down. The Central Locking Has Also Stopped Working, Any Ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

This is a common problem. The central locking and elec. windows share connections to the key-operated microswitches in the (front) door latches.

Do both sides key-holes* lock & unlock the doors? Apart from one of the actuators, on the back of the key cylinders, breaking off and jamming the microswitch, it's pretty certain that the control pcb for at least one window (each window has its own) has got wet and is sending out the unlock/open command to the whole system. Since you mention that the drivers' door is 'ticking', that's the likely culprit. The ticking is the window motor control relay, attempting to move the glass down, even though it already is.

Try isolating the drivers' door window wiring. Get the window closed, then remove the bonnet release lever, and the plastic trim at the base of the 'A' pillar/accelerator pedal stop, to reach the back of the pillar connector housing. There are several connectors plugged into it, the one for the window has a thick red-yellow wire in it. If it's the drivers pcb affected, that should secure the car, though of course the window won't work at all. The key-operated open/close will be disabled as well.

You don't mention if this is a 4 door car, but the passenger door takes much the same procedure to reach the socket. Rear doors need the lower 'B' pillar trims pulled free, which isn't much fun. In all cases, the window wiring plug has the thick Red-yellow main power cable in it.

Whichever pcb is at fault, you may be able to dry it out, or replacement, probably along with the motor, may be necessary.

* if your car has both, or indeed any, keyholes.

doug.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
    Stephen Stewart likes this.
  3. PRPMANN New Member

3 Door 1995(n) Gti

Thanks Dougie,

I Will try to have a look at this on Friday, or take your suggestion to the garage.
    It may well be water as it seems to happen more often when it rains, the key works to unlock both doors but sometimes the drivers door will only unlock from the inside.

Thanks again.

4. Stephen Stewart New Member

Hi, although this is a very old post I have the same problem. This has been going on for some time with internment opening of the sunroof, door locks and windows. I found that the car started to be thick with condensation. It wasn't until I put my car in for a pre- test that a hole was found in the floor and there was a puddle in the drivers foot well. After stripping out the car and repairing the damage it seemed to sort the problem. Not so, 12 month later same again. Foot well full of water again. After having a similar problem with my wife car I stripped the head lining out and found water pouring in from the sunroof, down the door seal into the foot well. The drain holes become silted up and require cleaning out (very carefully). This was the same with the Golf. Fortunately the drain holes are easily accessible and located in the door post. Above the rubber cover for the door wiring. I cleaned mine out with a few cotton buds. On stripping out the carpet to dry the padding out I noticed a black plastic case, soaking wet. This is the solenoid for the door locks and windows I think. I seen on another post that this causes the door locks and windows to open on their own, so I have tucked this up behind the fuse board. I hope this sorts the problem.

5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome, Stephen,

Yes, it's a very old post, but then these are now rather old cars. Golf 3 pre-dates a centralised (in)convenience module mounted under the carpet (or anywhere else). Some of the earliest ones did have such a plastic mounting case, for Abs and automatic transmission control modules, but these were soon moved under the rear seat and then later into the engine compartment (for the abs module)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022