Mk3 gti fuel tank

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by dodgy, Nov 5, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Bit of an odd question really, basically I will be swapping to 1.8t I the mk2, but will be upgrading bits in run up to it, brakes, suspension, electric bits etc.
    One thing I need to swap is fuel tank to mk3 gti with internal pump.
    If I fitted the tank before the engine, keeping the original manual pump on cars standard engine would it still pull the fuel through the gti electric pump even if it isn't running?
    In previous cars I've fitted electric pumps with pressure regulator (such as metro turbo in mini & morris minors) or facet pump with filter king regulator, not running one sucking through an electric.
    Just wondered if it would work, possibly something else to get sorted before the big push.
    Cheers

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Fit MK3 tank, use MK3 intank fuel delivery module for 16v or VR6, delete MK2 underbody.

3. dodgy

Thanks Eddie, it's a 1.6 at the moment, no under body set up, would the manual pump pull the fuel through the electric pump if it wasn't running? so can fit it before swap.

4. davidut5 Forum Member

It wont pull through without power, you can use a diesel mk3 pickup, these had no pump. Should fit the gti tank if im not wrong!:lol:

5. dodgy

Cool, I'll just wait on the tank swap then and do it with engine transplant.