mk3, mk2 PAS reduction

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by PMRS, Mar 7, 2015.

1. PMRS Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all, has any one ever tried modifying a mk3 golf power steering pump/system to give less pressure. I wondering if I can reduce the amount of assistance. Is there a relief spring I can change or some sort of restrictor I can fit? I am using mk3 16v front suspension and subframe/rack in my mk2 golf rally car and the steering feels very light, even with lots of caster.

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I believe removing the restrictor in the return line will do that.

Look on the return line, there is a metal clip on the outside of the pipe, near the reservoir on the return line. There is a metal restrictor inside and if you remove that, I believe it will give less assistance.

If that gives you more assistance, you`d need to fir a smaller diameter restrictor, but I`m sure removing it = less assistance.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I always wondered if fluid type makes a difference, since 'they' say the green stuff is thinner than the dexron ATF the older mk2s ran. I'm running a mk3 pump on my mk2 16v rack with dexron and find the pas weighting to be excellent, so i would imagine the difference is in the rack itself, or possibly the fluid...

4. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

I have this too
    It's bent- swapped between the two fluids nothing
    I have done a fair bit of reading, from what I understand the issue is likely to be with the return line from the rack to the reservoir bottle. In there are two restrictors which will increase the pressure in the rack making it light. As nige said look out for clamps on the outside of the pipe holding them. Removal of them isn't ideal as they prevent foaming of the fluid- so drilling them a "bit" bigger is preferential

I am going to take the line off and inspect- I am hoping it's been kinked over the years and is an easy fix

Failing that I'm gona get a new rack and lines as I am impatient

Ps it won't be the pump- I have had an mk2 16v, abf and now r32 pump connected to this system and the feel has always been LIGHT WEIGHT

5. rubjonny

hmmm. maybe its all down to my aftermarket pas pipes, perhaps there isnt any reducer at all in them :lol:

6. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

This is what I meant.

The smaller the hole, the more assistance, the bigger the hole, the less assistance :thumbup:

7. rubjonny

cool, may have a look at mine one day. the 16v rack is definitely 'special' in some way as the part number differs. people have suggested its quicker lock to lock but elsawin disagrees on that one. the mk2 has same return lines for all engines too, as does the mk3 so the factory fit restrictors are all the same regardless of engine fitted.

be interesting to see if a mk3 restrictor is different to a mk2 one, and if so what affect using mk3 pipes on mk2 system would have...

nige I assume that clamp on the line is where the restrictor was right, so it cant go anywhere? Will have a shufti on mione see if there is any clamp on the line. I dont remember ever seeign one, but its not like I've ever looked...

8. F320kty New Member

I don’t have that original pipe so I can’t remove the restrictor , I was hoping this would fix my requirement to reduce the assistance

9. rubjonny

have a look out for a corrado 4 cylinder or mk2 16v rack then, mine is great :) for corrado if its a later one you need a mk3 UJ to go with it