Mk3 pas in mk2.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Helios, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Helios

Helios Paid Member Paid Member

Trying to fit mk3 golf 8v gti 96 pas rack into mk2 golf gti 8v 88. Have both the cars complete and mk3 subframe is in mk2, with the pas rack. My problem is the uj assembly from the mk3 is too short. The spines fit the mk2 column and obviously the bottom uj goes back on the rack where it came from, but as it is shorter and a different design the bottom uj fouls the bulkhead as it turns and it is too short to reach the end of the column. Any tried and tested solutions or an I missing something? All I can find on the forums seem to say that as long as I have the bottom uj to match the rack it will work. Please help 15666603143141844019780496260613.jpg

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry I can't help, but is the rack faster?
    Would it be possible to split the ujs and build a hybrid out of the 2? Mk3 rack end on mk2 shaft?

3. Helios

Hi Tristan, I havent checked if the rack is faster yet, when i get it connected i will compare turns lock to lock. I think the way forward is to make a hybrid uj assembly and after my initial oh crap it dosent fit panic i did find some other info in the forums but no definitive this is how to do it. One way is that the mk3 part bolts together in the middle so cut and machine the mk2 part to suit so using top half of the mk2 and bottom half of the mk3. The other way that i had come up with is to machine out the pressing that keeps the lower uj in the shaft then swap the actual bottom ujs over and re do the pressing or weld over the end to keep it all together. This will make the hybrid assembly 20mm shorter than the mk2 non pas origional, but the pas rack is 20mm taller so should all work. Will give it a go and post the results.

4. Tristan

There must be a straightforward solution, what with all the mk2s running mk3 bits?

5. Tristan

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as per the link MK3 PAS uj fits a MK2 column and MK3 rack in a mk2 no problem. maybe the column is collapsed, or incorrect UJ?

also to add to the last post in there you need to fit the rubber doughnut from mk2 pas rack to the mk3 rack so the MK2 pas UJ boot fits nice and snug

7. Helios

So to be clear, the shorter uj assembly from the mk3 should fit unmodified in the mk2, and if it doesn't there is a problem with the column? The mk2 that it is going into was a running driving car and the original uj was removed without excessive force. Have tried the mk2 upper uj and shaft with the mk3 bottom uj fitted and it does fit, but not nicely its slightly too long. Might be worth taking out the mk2 column and checking if it has collapsed internally on the sliding portion?

8. rubjonny

the MK2 UJ doesn't work because its for manual steering, the MK2 PAS UJ wouldn't work either though as the spline on the rack is different.

so yeah, if thats a MK3 pas UJ from same donor as your rack it should work just fine. if its not long enough then I would say your column is slightly collapsed :)

9. Helios

Balls. May need a new mk3 uj and mk2 column then.

10. Helios

So, thanks to rubjohnny for literally steering me in the right direction, i have now sorted the steering column issue. It turns out i had been driving about for the last 18 years with a partially collapsed steering column!. I pulled the column out, stripped it down and reset the sliding portion so the tab was in the locating hole to indicate it was fully extended, then used a mk3 pas uj assembly. Also took the opportunity to fit a new bottom column bearing and a new ignition switch with the S pin so i can power up the stereo and windows without having to have the ignition fully on. I used a new pas boot for a mk2 from vw heritage, modified and bonded with tigerseal to the bottom portion of the mk3 boot. I did have to adjust the bulkhead still to get satisfactory clearance between the inside of the boot and the lower uj.
    Having got it mobile and done some testing , in response to Tristans query, yes the mk3 pas rack is quicker, at 3.1 turns lock to lock, compared to the mk2 non pas racks 3.8 turns.
    Its not tracked yet but set up pretty close with the track rod ends adjusted evenly, but i did notice on full lock the ns tyre rubs on the gearbox end cap. Any advice on this?

11. rubjonny

I had an issue like this but opposite side, it turned out to be the track rods were not equally adjusted had to lengthen driver side and shorten passenger. I had used the book figures from haynes for passenger track rod but as it turned out something wasnt quite right there :lol: