MK3 Tailgate spoiler install help

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by lectrotek, Jul 9, 2020.

1. lectrotek New Member

Hi all,

I'm just about to sikaflex a GTI spoiler on the tailgate of an SE.

I sourced the spoiler, cut the retaining bolts off with a hacksaw blade and cut away as much adhesive gunk off the spoiler as possible, ready for sikaflexing.

However, I can't for the life of me think of a way of clamping the spoiler on there for the 24hrs it needs to cure.

Only thing I can think of is opening the tailgate so that it's horizontal and trying to source something heavy to place on top.

Seems like a sketchy idea to me. Anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers.

Tim

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wrap something across the top and around the sides? roll of cling to protect paint then lots of duct tape on top perhaps

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

As rj says, wrap and tape, masking tape you need decent stuff so not snapping when pull tight. Did one of those big heavy RGA spoilers on an old mini back in the 90s, sikaflex and masking tape, never fell off.
    Wear gloves to prevent grease from skin and getting the bonding on your hands.
    Trim any squidge off when set.

4. lectrotek New Member

Brilliant. Thanks guys

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh and you'll want to update your email address, I'm getting errors in the admin box saying your lycos.co.uk email address doesnt exist ;)