MK3 top mount part numbers/pics for MK2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by somafunk, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

You just need the "threaded bush" from VW, part no. 1H0412365A.

It's the nut that holds the top mount on, can be seen in this pic:
    [​IMG]

proaxis2 likes this.
  2. proaxis2 Forum Member

Great thanks.

3. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

A word of warning I've just found out the hard and expensive way [8(] that some aftermarket struts are incompatible with these mounts. Particularly full size piston with internal bump stops. You must remove the dust cover and trial fit the bearing directly to the top to check the clearance.

I also needed to modify my tooling to torque up the Mk3 threaded bush as there is not enough clearance on the allen key without the extra height of the missing Mk2 slotted nut tool.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it helps you can do the mk3 threaded nut up without the top mount fitted. the threaded bush just pops over the lip once done up :)

5. Finite

It definitely would have been preferable to do that in my case as I would of seen the bearing deforming and perhaps caught it before the spring plate was deformed too [xx(]

This is the offending strut

[​IMG]

Another quirk I read in the workshop manual is not only is the torque higher on the Mk3 bush at 60Nm it must also be re torqued if the top nut is removed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Finite

Have to say I think this mod is a bum steer, literally as is. On stock springs it's taken the ride height (driveshaft centre to untouched arch trim) up to 360mm +15mm above the upper maximum of 340mm -/+5m and the bearing/mount is not as free as it should be as per Jon Olds post #44 in this very thread. I also wonder what the effect of the angled top to the bearing seat is.

I'd like to compare with an assembled Mk3 strut, but at this point. I think I'm going back to stock. Lowering spring plates might reduce some of the issues, but I'm not entirely convinced.

fasteddie likes this.
  7. Matt Golf Forum Member

I am about to order the necessary parts to change the Mk2 to Mk3 mounts on standard suspension for a MK2 16v. Has anyone else noticed the front ride height increase substantially?

8. rubjonny

I didn't notice any increase in height on mine, but then I also have wide track.

9. Golf35 New Member

[​IMG][/url]

10. Golf35 New Member

Has anyone tried these covers? Will the height make a difference if I have these on top?

11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The top plate won't affect the ride height.
    I fitted the mk3 kit to a totally stock 8v Ce2 mk2, sharpened it up nicely. It took it from "flat" to possibly marginally nose up, so next time I was working on it, I fitted 16v front springs, and it returned to what looked like its original front ride height. Ie, somewhere between flat and a tiny amount of nose down.

12. tinto

tinto Forum Member

This thread has been a huge help to me over the past few weeks in terms of getting all the exact parts.
    I've just refreshed the front end of my mk2 GTI with a set of shocks/springs from AP and upgraded to the mk3 uppers at the same time.

That castle nut. Wow. Horrible thing... Glad I won't need to touch that again.

Rears were meant to be sorted out today too... I had hoped to be able to re-use a fair bit of the existing rubber gear under there, but looks like I'll be up for all new mounts as well as bump stops (current ones are essentially dust, crumbling at the touch). Sort of to be expected on a 20+ yo car.

13. Finite

Just to clear up when I did fit new Mk2 mounts the ride height was within a few millimetres of the Mk3 mounts.

Now I've fitted Eibach lowering springs to the front on standard length B4 struts. Since the springs are shorter I've reverted to the Mk3 mounts. I have noticed something new though the bumpstops are pushed 11mm further down the piston by the bearing and springplate. Not enough for shortened bumpstops, but there is still space underneath standard length bumpstops (aftermarket foam).

Despite B4's not being proper Bilsteins it still seems like a good combo to me. I just need a bunch of new parts to fit the rear springs and hope it doesn't sit lower than the front.

14. Tristan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vento vs mk2

Bugger.
    Went to fit B4s and Eibachs to my gti last night with Vento 1.9d spring plates. Too small a diameter. Different part number too.
    Be warned.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

15. rubjonny

yeah for those springs you need early mk3 gti spring cups 1H0412341, mk2 spring diameter and take the beefy mounts. The vento ones will be later part number 357412341A which are suitable for later type springs which are smaller diameter up top :)

16. Tristan

Ordered and supposed to be in the local dealers tomorrow!

17. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    I have bought a complete Bilstein B12 Pro kit for my 90 Jetta 8v and wondered before I try and fir them if I have everything. I have the mk3 Spring cap, bearing, threaded nut and top mount, but does the shocks come with bump stops or do I need to get those first?
    Thanks

18. rubjonny

usually they dont come with bump stops, you can use mk2 or mk3 ones

19. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Johnny, didn't think so. I have ordered some polybush ones on case so they OK to use? Or OEM preferred? Mixed reviews on here about which are best/preferred.

20. rubjonny

you may find the ride is too harsh, see how you go with it :)