MK4 Brake Servo and M/C in MK2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mercedeslimos, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Stripping down a TDI MK4 donor car tonight, and there's a lovely sized servo and 23 mm master cylinder on it for putting onto my MK2 PD project.

Is there any way of mounting the "ball" of the MK4 servo to a corrado pedal box? Or does it mean using the MK4 pedal box mounted to the MK2 bulkhead only?

Sam

2. murph81 Forum Member

Cut the ball off and thread the remaining rod to take the clevise pin setup.

3. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Adam! Always the last thing I'd think of. Nice 23mm master cylinder compact servo and full ABS...

4. priceygti Forum Member

a mk4 setup will fit a mk2 with minimal effort by cutting the ball type connection off and using a mk2 variant instead.

however i have found one floor with the mk4 setup you need the abs model as well from what i have read as the seals will keep blowing in the mk4 servo and master cylinder. i haven't tried this myself so can not confirm but i would take a deeper research into this before going in too far.

i have gone to a mk3 non abs setup in my mk4 and its works great just strange with no abs lol

5. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

I have a seat m/s and servo so good topic. I think mines bigger than 23 though
    possibley abit hard on the pedal with 16v calipers?

6. mercedeslimos Forum Member

I'm installing all the abs, module etc into the mk2. Going to use the mk4 brake lines even, ,iChat get them made in kunifer if they're too long. Using the mk4 full electrical system so adding abs and ESP just requires front hubs with abs sensors and rings (corrado g60 hubs, vr6 flanges and rings and vr6 sensors), and the Ibiza/6n polo rear stub axle setup with mk4 sensors.

7. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Going to use the girling 54's that came with the mk2, have a biggred rebuild kit for them, 280mm discs and abs. Plenty stopping power.

8. priceygti Forum Member

as your using the full mk4 abs setup i would hope that it should be ok but my previous comment was only what i have read on the net as i considered the same setup minus the ABS side of things lol

9. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Complete mk4 electrical system, heated seats, abs and ESP. Seeing as I have all the electricals and the hardware isn't hard to install on a mk2 with the right choice of parts, a modernised mk2

10. priceygti Forum Member

You'll find PAB's third build thread of great inspiration he has done similar already ;)

11. mercedeslimos Forum Member

The very car that inspired me! However mine will be getting an ARL from a MK4 TDI.

Coming to Leeds on wednesday to collect a 53 plate 150bhp.

Climate, heated black leather Recaros, auto dim mirror, cruise. High spec.

Shame to pull it all out into a MK2!

12. Fray16v Forum Member

my mate's used the method of chopping off the ball off a mk3 16v servo and tapping the cone just after the ball didn't work as it was a little short to work on a mk2 after fitting the clevis on so he welded a bolt to the end and it works very well, And now his braking system on his mk2 is amazing with only the 256mm set-up and 23.8 M/C from a mk3. I'v gone down the corrado g60 servo and an alloy 23.8mm M/C from a mk3 myself as its less of a pain to fit.

13. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Interesting. I'll measure the pin length just in case from the passat b4 servo I had before. The only reason I'm using the mk4 one is its compact, will provide the same pedal feel as it would in the mk4, and the mk4 master cylinder won't work with any other servo due to the offset bolts.

14. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Weird I checked the mk2 servo against the abf seat one I have and it would be the same length once the ball is chopped off.
    Chop the ball and taper off till its a normal rod. Only difference I can see is the servo mounting threads are shorter so hopefully
    there's enough to bolt to the fire wall. I checked the abf m/c against the mk2 8v one and there near enough the same length
    so would that mean it's a stubby?

Also where is the stamp to say its 23.8? I have 23 stamped just behind the bottle and various numbers underneath the m/c I have 22 and 24

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  15. mercedeslimos Forum Member

The only marking on the mk4 one is 23, so i would imagine it is that.

1998MY (red'd jan 99) 90bhp TDI 5-door mk4 golf.

16. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Thanks for confirming so thats one less thing to worry about. Would be good to have a decent set of brakes up front but trying to tap a thread on the servo might get fiddly

17. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Any idea what pitch the thread is? I assume also that the bolts that attach it to the bulkhead are the same spacing for the mk4 and mk2, as well as the corrado pedal box

18. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Clutch and Brakes done!

[​IMG]

I took a leap of faith in the MK2. Unbolted the clutch and brake pedal boxes from the scrapped MK4, they are totally separate.Where they bolt to the bulkhead is flat...

Cue blowtorch and big hammer to flatten the MK2 bulkhead section. Used a Corrado pedalbox to line up the holes for the MC (first mistake). 32mm holesaw and drill bits and we have the funny shaped hole for the MK4 clutch MC ports to gio through (the MC itself is inside the pedal assembly, inside the car which is just bolted to the bulkhead) The top bolt hole was over an inch away from the bulkhead so I used a few nuts as a spacer to strengthen it.

Wahay we have a totally independent clutch pedal and MC which is easily removed, plus MK4 MC's are way cheaper that the 96 '89-'91 Corrado MC. Now I can use the standard clutch line from the 6-speed MK4 which is donating a lot.

To check I grabbed the 5 speed line (without the UFO thing in it like the 6-speed line) and checked fitment. Happy days, clip fitment MC and slave meaning no conversion lines needed.

The only issue (so far) is that the clutch pedal is offset a bit close to the brake pedal (I'll talk about that part in a second). I plan to chop the pedal (it's solid metal bar as it's an early spec Mk4) and make up a couple of metal spacer plates in the college machine shop to offset the pedal footplate to the left and bring it a bit away from the brakes as my size 10's would mullock it up guaranteed! This is due to me using the Corrado pedalbox to use as a template for the holes. Ideally I should have moved it left but didn't realise that the pedal spacing is different between a standard MK2 pedalbox and a Corrado one.

On to the brakes...

Adam's (murph81) suggestion above was carried out in due course. First thing was to cut the clutch section off a standard cable clutch MK2 GTI pedalbox I had laying around. (my shed is FULL of things like this with which to experiment) Obviously as I now had the clutch section mounted, and because I wasn't going cutting up a Corrado pedalbox, it will definitely come in handy for one of the other MK2's I have hanging around here at home.(plus the throttle pedal is integral on a Corrado one, whereas on the MK2 the throttle pedal is separated easily, and was detached already on this one)

This left me with just like the brake section, just like the MK4 ones which are all separately bolted to the bulkhead. The MK4 one wasn't used as it would sit the pedal some 2 inches too high. it would have meant dropping the servo down (ie cutting and welding the bulkhead - not happening as it would probably interfere with the boost piping of the engine that's going in).

So I have a MK2 brake pedal and 1/3rd of a pedalbox - but it uses the clevis type (with a pin and clip retainer) to connect the servo to the pedal. This would have meant me using the old Scirocco 16v Servo I had on there before and the 16v 22mm brake MC (M10x1 ports). This MC probably wouldn't be the best for the ABS pump which is going in (later style pump from the '02 MK4 donor which is still complete).

I wanted to use the HUGE (it's the diameter of the big Scirocco servo (9") but is twice as thick - ideally giving great pedal feel like a MK4 which is what I want) servo from the 90BHP TDI scrap donor, and nice big 23.8mm master cylinder with the important 2 outlets for ABS and the M12x1 ports.

The mounting studs are different between the MK2 style and MK4 style servos (I have a MK3 TDI (same as late VR6) servo too, same size as Passat B4/Corrado servo but with the offset bolts for the MK4 style master cylinders) thus it was use all MK2 or all MK4. The latter was chosen.

But since I was not using the MK4 ball fitment on the pedalbox (MK3 is the same but couldn't find the MK3 TDI pedalbox in all my piles of junk), I had to use the clevis type connection. I prefer this anyway as it is WAY easier to remove the servo from the pedal, and is metal rather than plastic which is easily broken.

So like Adam said, I took out Mr. Nasty and chopped off a ball. Off the servo rod that is lol. I removed the clevis from the Scirocco servo and measured the thread - M10x1.5. Took out my dies (Lidl - TF it had this thread!) and threaded the rod - the first portion was conical, but it cut through fine. I only threaded the first CM as that was all that was required for the same length of rod as the B4 style servo. I threaded the clevis from the older servo onto the MK4 rod. Stuck that onto the bulkhead and attached it to the pedal with the pin and clip.

So now there We have the MK4 clutch system complete from pedal to slave cylinder, and the ABS compatible servo and master cylinder mounted to the MK4 in a few hours. And MK4 parts are so easily come by in my local scrapyard is another big plus too, more modern parts so way better availability.

As for the throttle pedal, I will be using the DBW pedal from the donor MK4 as it is PD. Will fit this up as and when it is removed from the car. I will make a bracket to mount this up then.

So I should have a nice light clutch pedal like a MK4 to go with the lovely slick cable shift six speed box. A nice firm well-assisted brake pedal along with ABS, and a MK4 DBW pedal. Feels like a MK4 then...

That's the aim of the project, to have a car that looks like a MK2, drives as good as any modern car. I plan to update the driving experience: shedloads of power and torque from a PD, slick controls ( MK3/MK4 hybrid PAS, brakes and clutch, gears etc.) but have it still feel like a MK2. ie make it a MK2 for the 21st century that does everything my B6 Passat does but more fun!

I have a project thread here but I never take any pictures! Should update it really!

Apologies for the big post, rather get it all out and get the info out there for people if it helps them, that's what CGTI is all about for me, the wealth of info. If it wasn't for all you guys I would never have any balls to get into a project never mind something this involved!

Thanks for putting up with me here!

Sam

19. murph81 Forum Member

Nice work Sam, gonna have to get some pictures up though!

Do you know if its possible to get hoses made up with Mk4 style clutch master and slave cylinder push/clip in type connections?

Hoping to use Mk4 stuff in my Mk1 but I'll need a custom hose.

20. mercedeslimos Forum Member

I'll try and take some with the phone next time I'm in the shed. At the moment it is VERY rough and ready, needs some foam around the holes to close up a few gaps etc, at this point it's just to get it working can worry about cosmetics afterwards. This is the reason I went for this, custom hoses are damn pricey. I would have needed an early Corrado banjo type to MK4 push fit, USP Motorsport in America do one at over 100... Why don't you just use a MK4 metal one and re-shape it like I am doing? I have this 5-speed one here if you want it when I'm done with it.