Mk4 Door Lock headache

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by MJA, Jul 20, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hey all,

I bought my car with a problem with the rear drivers side door not operating the locking system or electric window. On strip down i found the electric window unplugged. I replaced the locking module and plugged it all in to find it didn't work. I tested with my multimeter for power and saw 12v going into the motor and to door lock.

I thought the motor might be duff so replaced and had the same issue. I left the motor plugged in and found the next time i went to use the car my battery was flat!

I have also noticed when I plug in the motor on the duff door my passenger side windows stutter and the locks don't behave properly.

On stripping further I have a abit of water in the rear footwells under the side insulation too so am thinking perhaps wires are submerged in water but don't know if anything actually runs in the footwells.

Next steps are for me to strip the interior to figure out where the leak is coming from and inspect the wiring in case of cuts or short somewhere.

Are there any VCDS type tests/channels I can carry out to isolate? I have tried a replacement drivers door panel window control unit to no result.

Cheers
    Matt

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes if you connect to the convenience module you can check through the measuring blocks to see all the inputs in real time including door modules. sounds to me like the rear electric window motor is faulty or incorrect, possibly an issue with the wiring from the motor to the plugs at the B post though so check that carefully. whats the part number on the module?

3. MJA

Thanks! I shall give the measuring blocks a try a bit later. I think the part number on my replacement motor isn't right actually - it's says it is from 1998 but as I understand the older mk4 rear windows were not controlled by the canbus so needed different motors. Some pics below

Replacement motor
    [​IMG]

Motor on the other side (that lock also doesn't work) so this motor might be wrong but does say 2002 and the car is a 2002.
    [​IMG]

I also took out the wiring loom for the door and noticed the power in/out cables were damaged but wasn't sure if this would cause the short/problem as power was seen at this connector and at the door module connector too.
    [​IMG]

I stripped the drivers side as was looking for a leak and also inspected al the wiring and it looks good. The only minor wet part was the rear area which is probably because I have had the inner membrane panel off for weeks. I think there probably was a bad seal on that membrane as the seat belt anchor is rusty. Drivers footwell area was dry but for good measure I have taken off the drivers door card and re-sealed the inner membrane thing.
    [​IMG]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aha yep, thats most probably why its not working. the 1j number is only for 98-01 and the 1c0 motor is from 02 onwards, the protocols are not compatible. so get on the bay of e and find a 1c0959812a.

the damage to the wire isnt great, but if its not cut thru the copper it shouldn't be causing an issue, just get a bit of insulation tape on there to take care of any bare copper.

then next thing split open both lock units and re-solder all the pins from the main plug to the board, one or more will be cracked by now. usually that restores them to working order :)

MJA likes this.
  5. MJA

Brill cheers mate, fingers crossed but seems that is the fix.

When I bought the car it came with this motor and a couple of modules but I will make sure i don't throw the old ones out and will repair instead.