MK4 Golf Climatronic install into MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yeah I love it, one of the best things I've done to my car and the a/c doesnt even work yet! Its just awesome to check the panel and be like, Hmm. 28 degrees is a bit warm, i think 26 degrees would be better... :lol:

2. francescodenetto Forum Member

Any info about The wiring?? What does it need to work? Only 12 volts?

3. rubjonny

there is a fair bit of work involved there, you need to feed the unit with live, earth and ignition feeds, dash lighting, speed and rev signals, couple wires to the ecu, plus add the fan control module, ac switch and pressure switch into the engine/lighting loom with a couple taps into the fan switch wiring.

not too bad if you can read wiring diagrams and have a donor loom to strip. 90% of the loom is self contained in a seperate harness thats attached to the airbox assembly and control panel inside the car, just got a few feeds to keep it happy. Some of the above I mention may be left off for it to still work, but looking at it for the climatronic to be 100% functional you'll want all the feeds to it workin especially if you use the 'auto' mode a lot.

I got the diagram in my sig 'g4climatronic.pdf', if you're serious I can help you thru it :)

4. francescodenetto Forum Member

I'm seriously interested..if you want you can help me:thumbup:

5. rubjonny

right, see post #3 above I've edited it.

the only ones you need to worry about is the T12a and T17a plugs, these are where the main Climatronic loom joins the rest of the dash/fan control unit wiring. See my sig for the full VW wiring diagram 'g4climatronic.pdf' this should help you make sense of the above!

francescodenetto likes this.
  6. francescodenetto Forum Member

ok thanks...i need for climatronic dashboard, fan and the big block right?

7. rubjonny

the bare minimum to get it up and running like I have done is the centre air flap assembly, the climatronic panel and the wiring loom that is attached to the front of the airbox assembly. ideally you want the mating connectors from the donor car with as much loom as you can get, this will make it easier to splice to your car harness.

the fan box obviously is required for the aircon to work, but if you dont want to do that right now as you can see it will fit to a mk2/3 fan box and still work, you need to add the fan resistor and the air temp sensor is easy to add, just no a/c and no recirculation.

you dont even need the mk4 fan control unit in the engien bay if you dont want aircon, though I have wired it in as I do plan to add it at some point. for the engien bay side mk3 pipes should fit, mk4 will probably go with minor tweaking. the compressor from the mk4 appears to be the same as mk3, but I've not looked too closely. I plan to fit all MK3 aircon brackets and belt setup then use either a mk3 or mk4 compressor. MK2 stuff would also probably work if factory, but its all gonna be a bit old and ropey plus hard to find and/or expensive

8. francescodenetto Forum Member

i haven't aircon. so i need only climatronic panel, airbox and the connectors..my fan is ok..it's right?

9. rubjonny

yes, but you still need the red MK4 fan resistor pack at least to control the MK2 fan, and ideally the inlet air temp sensor from the side too :)

on the mk4 fan you just have a 2 pin plug you need to wire this direct to the 2 wires behind the mk2 fan resistor pack, or what I did was tap to the 'fast' speed wire and the earth on the old fan plug to avoid having 2 random spade wires floating about under the dash

10. francescodenetto Forum Member

ok..and the light sensor? the external temp sensor?? i need them?

11. rubjonny

i havent got the light sensor on top of the dash yet, though I will put it on thee at some point. I've got the ambient air temp sensor behind the wing near the one for the MFA.

basically the more sensors you have wired in the better the climatronic system will work, take them away and it wont be able to adjust itself as well :)

12. francescodenetto Forum Member

I have Buy The climatronic console.. i'm waiting for The fan And The Big Block

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

13. francescodenetto Forum Member

So i don't need Light sensor And temp sensor, right?

14. rubjonny

It'll work ok without them, but the more of the sensors you can wire in the better it will work :)

15. francescodenetto Forum Member

Yes i agree with You...So i Buy external temp sensor And Light sensor..And about AUTO function? It Will work? I need internal temp sensor?

16. rubjonny

the auto function on mine works without the light sensor, I've got the outside temp and the inlet temp sensors.

most of the sensors are inside the main fan unit, the inlet temp is easy to add to the mk2 fan housing just have to drill a hole and file 2 'ears' for the lock tabs on the sensor. you'll see what i mean!

17. francescodenetto Forum Member

I think It Will work

18. francescodenetto Forum Member

[​IMG]

19. francescodenetto Forum Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]