MK4 Golf rear calliper: Rusty mech

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Peter, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Peter Forum Member

Hi

I'm currently rebuilding a pair of MK4 rear callipers,

Upon dismantling I discovered that the component below was quite rusty, I'm guessing this is part of the handbrake mechanism.

[​IMG]

I cleaned it up best I could, I couldn't dismantle it so this any cleaning was just external, although I did give it a good rinse through with brake cleaner.

[​IMG]

I'm not exactly sure how this piece works but I'm wondering if the outside is this rusty could the inside of it be equally rusty and cause me issues down the line?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It wouldnt fill me with confidence tbh. That's the ratchet mechanism for the self adjustment on the handbrake.

3. Peter Forum Member

Thanks Tristan, do you know can it be ratcheted on the bench like this or does it need to be built back up?
    Ive got some PB blaster I could soak it in beforehand for a couple of days

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I presume it could, but I haven't done it myself tbh. I just replaced my calipers as new ones were cheap. And loads available in the breakers.

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Think I paid about 60 for a pair of rear calipers, saw them even cheaper since. Wasnt much less for the seal kits, and had gone second hand previously on one which had started to bind after a year.
    Does that part have seals around it? Cant remember as was a while since rebuilt the S3 ones, one of the ibiza ones I had was leaking around the shaft from back.

6. Peter Forum Member

Thanks gents, yes the rebuild kits around £32 and you can get all new callipers for £50 a pair, I did look at these to begin with but I read mixed reviews about the quality. I also like the rebuilding, find it quite enjoyable
    There’s an o ring just below the knurled section at the top I removed it when I dismantled the callipers

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Got my A4 rear calipers off Ebay, stupidly cheap new ones, no problem at all with them, thought even if they just tied me over, would give time to sort more out.
    Only thing that caused problems was me not using fresh hose washer so had to replace them after a day, my own stupidity, were fine bleeding up, but weeped in practice.

8. Peter Forum Member

Just to update for any future searches; not only was the mech rusty but also the inside of the calliper, this was cleaned up with a Dremmel wire brush and scotch wheels,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 of the disassembled mech, lower one has been cleaned up using the method mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Upon reassembly the self adjustment felt noticeably easier and I was able to do it by hand whereas previously I needed a pair of mole grips to get sufficient leverage. On the shelf I have a nearly new rear calliper from my 4 motion (256 vented rear) and the mechanisms are now comparable, a little easier on the 256 but I was wondering if the brake fluid within (232 refurbed one is dry currently) might act as a lubricant.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020