Mk4 golf steering uj likage help

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Ari, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Ari

Ari Paid Member Paid Member

Does anybody know if what uj linkage can be used to connect a mk4 gti golf steering column to a mk2 or mk3 ps rack?
    I have read that it has been done before, when doing a dash conversion, but after much searching i have not found any answers. I am using a complete mk4 agu loom so i need this to work, and there is no way i am bodging or welding steering linkages.
    If anyone has done this or has info it would be awsome.
    Cheers
    20190921_121455.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

need to make your own UJ once its all bolted together.

the mk2 column is telescopic so potentially might be able to put the bottom part of the mk2 column into mk4 column, but depends how it all ends up once bolted to the car. may find the hole thru bulkhead wont line up and/or needs makign larger (mk3 has larger hole, could maybe use UJ boot off one o them once done?)

do you really want/need to run the mk4 clocks, column and stalks? the mk2 stuff can all be made to work even if you use a mk4 loom

3. Ari

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to not use the mk4 column. I will be happier with a mk2 column but i dont know what to do with the ignition barrel etc. The column in the car at the minute in a manual one which is great with the standard engine, but probably not once the agu goes in. It looks a lot heavier.

If i get a mk2 ps column, will the ignition be made to swap over without causing problems like loosing the steering lock?

4. rubjonny

as I say you can keep all the mk2 stalks etc and have them work, will need some wiring modification to get the mk2 stalks spliced to the mk4 wiring. though if you do that, may as well forget the mk4 interior loom and modify the mk4 engine loom to suit mk2 fusebox instead...

you'll have to adapt the switches to suit the mk4 loom plus all the lighting etc so quite a bit of effort involved. entirely up to you at the end of the day how you wanna go about it mind :)

if you go for mk2/3 pas rack you keep the mk2 column just change the UJ to mk2 or mk3 pas (different spline mk2 and mk3 rack so need UJ to match) plus a mk2 pas UJ boot

5. Ari

The mk2 loom is completely wrecked and was removed a while ago. I have read a bit about the qpeng stuff and loom adaptors but to be honest wiring and electrical stuff is not easy for me.
    I will buget for mk3 pas stuff because there are more of them being broken? Are there any differences between mk3 tdi/gti pas components?
    Cheers

6. rubjonny

the mk3 gti rack is a different part number, probably just feels a bit more sporty. any mk3 rack will bolt in though, the pipes are all fine too but a little fiddling required on pipes from pump back to rack and bottle depending on what bottle setup you want to use. the mk2 bottle sits further back than mk3 and mk3 has a metal pipe along the front member while mk2 is all rubber. no big deal either way tho

if wiring isnt for you then think long and hard about using the mk4 loom as you'll have quite a lot of work to do regardless of column...

7. Ari

Thanks for the info. As far as this project is concerned, i think I bit of more than i can chew as the saying goes. My last engine swap was a 1.6 driver into 1.3 so that was much simpler. My dad is a mechanic but he also dilikes electrical wiring and is busy so im on my own :)

8. retrosalad New Member

Dont do it...im taking my mk3 dash conversation out as i type..

9. Ari

I def not doing a dash conversion. I think it looks stupid. I only wanted to fit column mk4 column but i dont think it will work :)

10. rubjonny

Yeah its a lot of effort to fit, and its not going to really save you much in terms of wiring either if using mk2 dash you've still got to splice all of that to suit so whats a few more wires for the column?

as I say, the least amount of wiring effort would be to keep a standard mk2 car loom and just adapt the 20v ecu side to your fusebox. Since you have CE2 all the different sections are modular so easy to replace damaged sections, plus the stalk and ignition wiring is the same as mk3 golf and corrado so can use those donors to fix up that side.

if its a non-gti source a mk3 golf tank, lines, filter carrier and uncut rear loom from any petrol model, drop a mk3 gti, 16v or vr6 pump in. split the 4 wires out the rear loom from fuel pump to fusebox and drop it on top of the original rear loom and that side is sorted.

use this thread to make up your new engine loom:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

11. Paul carry New Member