Mk4 master cylinder upgrade

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Pb81, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Pb81 Forum Member

Hello! As for the object, i need to upgrade that component, cross referencing around i've seen someone in australia makes an upgraded unit but is way too expensive since is more than 500€ before shipping.
    So, here are the options at the moment:
    • T4 24.5mm master cylinder, with filling holes rotated by 45° from the vertical line because of mounting holes position. Will they leak? Will they trap air bubbles? Doubts..
    • Bore out the oem swapping in the T4 unit internals. Does anyone in the world takes the responsibility or is able of doing it? Or is it even possible?

Thanks!

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Was reading something the other day about mk3 set up on mk4 or vice versa, both systems have same ratio if used with their own components, ie mk3 pedal to slave ratio is same as mk4, although the bore internally is different.
    But they came into problem when mixing bore sizes across the two platforms, giving either too much or too little throw for correct operation.
    I've not tried this, but only saw written on web.
    I have a transporter master cylinder on mk2 pedal box which should be good with the clutch cylinder I intend to use.
    Actually, now presume you on about brake, I was referring to clutch, it's been a long day sorting parts out, anyway the info on clutch if any use is
    Mk4 o2j master 15.9mm, slave 19mm
    Mk3 vr6 master 18.6mm, slave 22.2mm
    Ratio of 1.19/1.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You are fitting a mk4 cylinder to a mk2? Or upgrading a mk4?

4. Pb81 Forum Member

I am upgrading brake system on a Lotus Exige that comes with same FTE5595 master cylinder, as i found out it was the same than a golf i said "hey, that's must be easy, it's my field"... and i was wrong [:D]
    I think the only options i have are rotating the brake servo is some way, it has a cnc bracket that should be easy to drill with a different angle, or bore and swap internals. I have a friend that owns a machine shop, he offered to bore the oem unit but i can't find anyone that has done this before on the internet and i can imagine why.