Mk4 Rear Door Locks

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by yodaboyo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. yodaboyo New Member

Hi all

I've been hovering for too long so decided to post with a problem....would be grateful for help.

My rear door like flapping when I go around roundabouts quickly lol turns our i need new rear door catches.

Trouble is Ive been quoted 105+VAT per side, with 80 fitting on top of that......I dont think so...

Mine is a early 1999 1.8t, my question is, does anyone know what the part numbers are, as there a guy on ebay selling central locking lock mechanism for 40 new.

Or.....do I need to take the old ones out first and then look for part number....

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Dylan

2. priceygti Forum Member

i'd pull the old one out first and grab the part number from that would be the best option

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you will not find any part numbers that are of any use on the locks i'v looked
    when getting some from danster just before christmas never of us could find a part number on them that was in ETKA
    only the part number for the plastic molding is on them

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. whitemk2 Forum Member

I changed both mine , got them from a scrap yard for 25 quid each. I just asked them for mk4 rear locks and they were spot on.
    It took about 2 hours on the 1st side as i'd not done one in the past , just made sure it was all lubed up before fitting and i've not had a problem since

5. Spanish Mike Paid Member Paid Member

Apart from buying new door lock actuators from VW (expensive, because I need 4!) can anyone recommend a supplier? There's a few on eBay, but I prefer a more reliable source. Thanks, Mike (2002 Golf 4)

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

often the issue is cracked solder joints on the motors, split them and flow with fresh solder to repair :)

7. Spanish Mike Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks John. Once I can get to the locks, I may also have to be looking at taking the lock actuators apart, and re-soldering connections on the pc board and micro-switches that are prone, as I understand, to have cracked/dry joints. Then, if I can find where to buy them, I may be also looking to replace the micro-switches if the buttons on the switches are worn down. We love a challenge. Good to be back again on the forum!

8. rubjonny

yep who knows what you'll find. main thing if you go this route is that you have somewhere secure and dry to store the car in case lock blocks are unserviceable. alternatively can buy a set of used ones fix those up and swap over in one go. just have to make sure they're the right part number as a few available depending on age/spec

9. Spanish Mike Paid Member Paid Member

Sure. Yes, I work undercover! I've got similar problems with all four door locks. Trusty Golf 2, often sleeping, can come out to play in the meantime.

10. 1990PB New Member

It's much more convenient to just swap over the lock module, rather than dismantling and trying to fix it the old one. I've found the ones on ebay at about £16-£20 to be reliable and they are pretty much approved over on a passat forum, particularly at the price compared to VW stock.

They are used on a vast range of VW, Audi and Skoda vehicles which no doubt contributes to the low cost.

11. Spanish Mike Paid Member Paid Member

I've been looking at buying new lock modules (2002 Golf TDi) from one of the many suppliers on the net. Varying makes and prices from £20 to over £100. Can anyone recommend a supplier and manufacturer? GSF normally export parts to me, but say they've stopped supplying the locks. I need to get on with at least one door out of the four, as the rear nearside door won't open at all. I've tried banging on the outer door handle as I operate the remote control key (one suggestion I've seen) but it won't budge. The metal arm extending from the lock that moves the button up and down doesn't move either. Maybe need to drill out the old lock via the inner panel (as seen on some videos). I welcome suggestions.

12. rubjonny

just fixed the driver side door on our bora, re-soldering the lock is easy so long as you're semi-decent with a soldering iron and only adds around 20 minutes to the job but its your call.

with the stuck door all I can suggest is keep trying, bang the actual door itself towards the back where the module is you need to try and get the cracked joint to make contact just long enough for the lock to cycle. getting it open otherwise will not be easy as these modules deadlock 'safe' so even if you manage to destroy the inner panel enough to get to the module you cant easily move the lock from the outside either