Mk4 seats in my 3.5 cabrio

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Anj, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Anj

Anj Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,

hoping someone can help me find someone who can sell me adapters to fit mk4 seats in my cabrio?
    The rear looks easy but the slider rail obviously needs a bit of fabrication.
    I have the original seats so I can butcher them. Any advice very welcome.

I haven’t worked out how to reply yet, but thanks to the person who mesaaged about the r32 front end.

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you can buy adapters. I’m pretty sure it’s a matter of cutting and welding.

Anj likes this.
  3. Anj

thanks Phil, I have measured the width of the rear mounts and they are very similar. So I’ll take the old and new seats and have the centre rail and sliders swapped from the old to new. I want it as original as possible. The fabric is the same but the old ones are pretty rough. So it’ll be nice to give it a little lift. If anyone is after some 3door rear seats with the black and white chequered centre let me know. The ones I picked up today are really good condition.

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

No welding, well, personally I would as it involves adapting front mount on floor, so ideally needs strengthening.

Will try and find guide I used, but basically you have to chop the front seat mount in the car, and drill so the mk4 front bolts to it.
    The rear wheels of the runners need grinding so they fit and slide in the mk3, there is also something to modify on the seatbelt stalk, but can't quite remember, possibly a teardrop shape that needs filing round?
    Was about 7 years ago, but I fitted mk1 leon cupra r seats in a caddy van.
    Rears I'm not sure of, as it was a van, but I took the leather and foam off a set of mk3 rears and fitted them to a mk2 frame in my golf.

5. dodgy

PhilRyder and Anj like this.
  6. Anj

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

No problem.
    Think an alternative to cutting the front mount is make up a T piece to bolt in hole and to seat, if that makes sense.

8. Anj

Thanks for the advice on the seats all in!! So much nicer.

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

Did you get the rears in too?
    Glad it helped

10. Anj

Being cabrio it’s a one piece rear so I’m not even going to look at that for now. It hasn’t even got an mot. Yet I have started multiple areas. 1/3rd of the car is in primer and I go and do something silly like buying new seats. Fingers crossed on the mot, then I can start putting some thought into what next. I’m really tempted to go G60 as I have always been a big fan of super chargers. Little bit different but probably a silly route to choose. Any suggestions for something a bit abstract? I’d like vr6, have had a v5 and loved the sound. Maybe supercharge one of them? It’s a long term project so if I need to save some money to do it. It’s not a problem.

dodgy likes this.
  11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Interested in what seats fit where. I have a 6K Ibiza (rally car) and a set of nice half leathers in the loft from the same age Cordoba SX. Obviously Cordy and Ibiza are the same floorpan. These need to go to someone as an upgrade, they are 70K miles and must be of some use to a mk2, mk3, Polo or whatever.
    Anybody know what they fit, or can be made to fit? Be such a shame to bin them as the matching rears, headrests etc etc are all there.
    I bought the Cordy SX for the ABF lump.. as you do, or at least did, then..
    Jon

12. dodgy

6n, 6n2 polo, mk2 caddy, inca, ibiza, mk3 golf I believe @Jon Olds , direct fit, and mk2 with mods.
    Oh, polo estate/saloon etc too which are ibiza/cordoba based straight in.
    Are they 2 or 4 door ones? As in do they have access tilt?

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Many thanks. 2 door, tilt access. (back in the day the Cordoba SX was the fully spec'd top of the range motor
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Great, put some adverts up on marketplace, thanks. Someone will get a bargain (having a loft clearout)
    Jon

15. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Likely to be sold tomorrow, LOL..
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Gone (sold)
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  17. Anj

If I knew the answers I’d love to help, I purchased the most 4 seats mainly for the fabric, then found out that they could fit. I got all my info just by putting up a post. Maybe with doing that? I had all the answers I needed very quickly.

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Cheers
    Jon