MK6 Golf: Mirror and indicator = door control module failure?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by breeze, Feb 28, 2020.

1. breeze Forum Member

I have a 2009 Golf Plus (so facelift) and the electric mirror and indicator on the driver's both stopped working recently. Other side is fine and there is no sign of damage.

Doing a search online, it look slike the door control module is likely to be the issue. Is that correct and, if so, is it an easy swap?

It's my wife's daily so don't really want to have the car off the road for long.

2. breeze Forum Member

As an update, I just got my Ancel VD500 code reader on it (not VCDS but it does read VAG codes).

It gave me:
    01811 - Supply voltage for door controller: Drivers Side (J386)

Also, I noticed that when I set the electric mirror switch to the drivers side, the passenger side moves. Very odd...!

A quick Google suggests I:
    Check Fuse(s)
    Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module (most likely in the door harness)
    Check Door Control Module Driver Side (J386)

It's a 2009 car with a little under 80k on the clock. Daily but not used hard. I am still leaning towards the door module.

3. breeze Forum Member

In the end I took it to VW. 20 years of me working on these cars but, as a safety issue, I just needed to get it done.

VW: we recommend replacing the mirror housing because there may be a wiring fault.
    Me: are you sure it isn’t the controller?
    VW: our guidelines say replace the housing, if that doesn’t work it will be the controller
    Me: errm OK, go head
    VW: we replaced the housing but the problem hasn’t gone way. We think it is the controller, total cost £750.

It’s one of those things where the eBay controller would have been £50. Even the controller from the dealer would have been under £300 and of course I would have fitted that first.

Kicking myself!