MK6 TDi: Does anyone have a photo/diagram of the EGR

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by rdf1988, Sep 8, 2016.

1. rdf1988 Forum Member

I believe my EGR is choked up and would like to remove it to clean it.

I'm new to diesels, so don't know where to look to get the ball rolling.

I'm an OK home mechanic, but would like to size the job up first!

Thanks in advance.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I might have something.

rdf1988 likes this.
  3. nealey Forum Junkie

There are two types of egr, one is external to the cooler and is at the front of the engine, the other is internal to the egr cooler and if it needs replacing you have to replace the cooler with it. Both types of egr cooler can fail though and leak gasses.

What makes you think the egr needs cleaning out

rdf1988 likes this.
  4. rdf1988 Forum Member

Well, on my way to work yesterday I had the 'flashing glow plug' light on the dash accompanied by a warning to take the car to the workshop and a sudden lack of turbo.

I've had no warning that something was a miss. No smoke, no rough idling, no power loss (until this episode).

I treat my TDI well. I always make sure the oil is up to temp before really using the turbo, and also letting it cool down before engine shut down.

Restarting the engine temporarily solves the issue and full power is restored, but the same thing happens within a mile or two.

I phoned Volkswagen to see how much they'd charge for the VCDS and they want 72!

The EGR on the 1.6 TDi is a common problem apparently. The car has only done 85k miles mixed driving.

I'm hoping that I can whip the EGRs out and give them a good scrub but as I've already said, I'd like to know what I'm up against first.