Modded Engine & Petrol Question

Discussion in 'TSR Performance' started by hedski, Nov 28, 2013.

1. hedski New Member

Hi,

Tech question if anybody can help.

1.8 PB 8v engine'd GTi with modded head, skim, polish, port, gas flow basically to Pack 'A' spec done via another tuner and the club along with a 268 cam.

Original specs for the Digifant required 98RON fuel. Advised post mod to use the same. Prob is where I've now moved to there is no Super of any kind. There is however whats called E5 which is 95% 95RON and 5% Bio-ethanol. The vendors website claims 99RON equivalent as a result but the figures would have you believe 96 in reality.

What are the options? Could I get a custom ECU to run the part Bio stuff? Will it damage my lovely 180k mile engine despite the recent upgrades?

All help and advice appreciated.

H

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I'd just be listening out for any pinking, and keep your eye on the plugs. May just need a slight tweak on the ignition timing if you do get any pinking. But it 'Should' be fine. :thumbup:

Neil.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pb has a knock sensor so can adjust for poor fuel, if the timing has been advanced past 6deg you may need to bring it back to standard but see how it goes. obv make sure the knock sensor is in good nick, mk3 golf and other vw/seat/audis up to late 90s have compatible knock sensors if you have good scrappers local. Just remember to do it back up to the correct torque and be sure the mounting face is clean and shiny :)

4. Collie Forum Junkie

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

5% Bio-ethanol is just a conceit to being seen to be "green". Normal unleaded engines are fine with up to 10% ethanol. Anything more than that and you need ethanol specific mods.

Interestingly, VW of Brazil have developed an engine that can run on any petrol/ethanol mix, from 100% petrol to even 100% Ethanol;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hedski New Member

Yep, it's all about being green in Ireland. That's why the government taxed any super unleaded out of existence....

Thanks for the info guys.