Motometer clocks with vdo internals?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

My motometer clocks with mfa have a speedo reading wrong the tube snapped off mfa the temp guage works when it feels like and the fuel gauge is stuck on the top end of reserve when ignition off. Can I xfer the bits of non mfa vdo bits across to motometer make a good set? My needles are red on my original motometer (possibly painted?)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unfortunately not as the non-mfa clusters have different internals.

Also if its got CE1 clocks vdo and motormeter mfa clocks are different inside as well, also there are several variations to watch out for depending on age.

CE2 VDO and Motormeter made MFA clocks are all the same inside though so parts will swap either way no problem at all

3. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Bugger they are all ce1. Currently refurbing and lots of clocks on order and have had a trip to rs components to source that elusive high beam non led incandescent bulb. Notice adjustable potentiometers in clocks too. Repaired speedo and fuel guage just the snapped spigot on mfa

4. rubjonny

you can buy vacuum repair nipples so thats possibly worth a go, or hunt scrappy for nipples you can snip off say a brake servo hose. carefully drill the hole out on vacuum unit a size up and glue your new or old nipple even if theres enough length on it

5. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Ta Rj. Thought of epoxying something in. Might be going through my motorcycle fuel taps box. I seem to have become obsessed with mk2 golf clocks over the weekend!

Vw golf mk2 gti motometer clocks refurb https://imgur.com/gallery/1Jg4Vlr

6. rubjonny

I have 5-6 sets of CE2 clocks in similar states of disrepair :lol:

7. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Studied electronic engineering for 5yrs. not that there is many taxing electronics in these old school clocks
    A new business venture looming again.....