Motorsport harnesss installs - forum info compilation / FAQ

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by A.N. Other, May 17, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

See post 2 above (fthaimike: Blue Book = FIA derived).

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

thought that Chris which is why i wondered my 1st suggestion ;) :thumbup:.

Got an older edition of the blue book somewhere here.

Edit:

Job done (cheers for the help):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Regarding the crotch straps...

I was hoping to loop mine around the rear seat mounting bar but now that I've got around to putting the harness in, I've noticed the type I have wont allow this and I think my best option will be to mount an eyebolt to the floor, similar the the Prodrive example below:

Obviously the floorpans are very thin in a Mk2 and this is roughly where the strap comes to on the floor (maybe an inch or so more rearward with a bit more joggling with the other straps and final positioning):

[​IMG]

Would the square demon-tweeks style reinforcement plates be suitable for this task? (it may fit under the the raised ridge under where the clip is situated in the picure) Or do I need a larger piece of 3mm steel under the car with a nut welded to it? Would it have to have a duplicate piece of metal on the inside as some other anchorage points require?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd say far bigger than the usual achorage backplates for a piece of tin like that.

Definitely extinguish all other options before opting for that one also.

5. mec82 Forum Member

this is interesting, I'm about to fit a 6-point harness.

from what I've seen the reason the crotch straps are meant to be close to vertical is that in the event of the seat mounts breaking, they will prevent the seat from tipping back. That's why you shouldn't fix belts to seat mounts.

Barring those extreme circumstances though, their main job is only to stop the lap strapped riding up so they should need to be that substantial. If you're going to do it then do it right i suppose.

6. mec82 Forum Member

Hi,

I've just fitted my harness and I'm having problems with the crotch straps. my harness looks like this...

[​IMG]

the issue is that the straps are so close together at the buckle that there's no way they can go round me bits. They're not sitting on my thighs but right in front of the crown jewels. Does anyone else have this issue?

cheers

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Lengthen the crotch strap so it sits higher?

I must admit this subtle topic has been skipped round and I don't know exactly where the buckle centre should sit. The lap straps are supposed to be tight to the pelvis.

8. mec82 Forum Member

thanks chris, do you find your harness sits ok? The main problem with mine is that theres no real gap between the straps at the buckle. so the 2 straps run straight down together and through the seat hole. If the hole were 8 inches wide that might just work but its more like 4" wide. There's definitely no way the straps will go round the unmentionables, then back together to go through the hole, even if they did I dread to think what happens when they get pulled tight!

The TRS 'pro' harness looks like it has a better system :(
    [​IMG]
    is it just me with this problem? does everyone just put up with the discomfort and not worry about what happens in a bump? after seeing the pictures floating around of the 'scrotal trauma' i'm thinking seriously about this now!

cheers

9. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

Please move if in wrong thread.

I am currently switching from 3 point to 5.
    I have read through various threads and am still slightly unsure, please have a look at the below pics and give me your opinions on if either of the set ups would be safe. I have fitted the 8.8 eyelets to the original selt bel mountings.
    I have a OMP cage so i think im right in thinking, welding harness bars to it would render it useless /illegal if i ever wanted to enter the car in any race series?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Criss cross looks better.

You're correct about the cage.

11. mec82 Forum Member

thats how i've got mine, i reckon its just within 45 degrees. I ran in a few sprints last year like that and no scrutineers mentioned it.

12. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

Thanks Guys

13. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

silly question maybe but,,,, if fitting the rear straps to a roll bar how does it loop round? all the harnesses i have seen have clips on the end.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You have to remove the clips from the end, if necessary undoing some stitching on the finished tails to feed them through.

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Might be able to look at mounting my seats this weekend. Need to put eyelets for the lap belts in but not quite sure where to put them. Do they need to drop straight down the sides or do they need to pull backwards into the car more? Thus pulling your legs back into the seat rather than pulling you legs down...If you see what i mean:lol:

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

^ see post 2

17. mat-mk3

I have looked at it 5 times now, What bit are you pointing to?
    The picture of the driver? It shows the straps coming straight down but most of the ones i see are pointing towards the rear.

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

FIA diagram ... where it shows a rearward 45` / 65` angle

Willans diagram ... where, as you say it shows straight down but as the thread refers ... this is with a non bucket seat

I have used the angle of my competition seat `belt guide` to determine the location of the fixing, so that the belt is kept as straight as possible

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  19. mat-mk3

Good thinking. Mine is like a triangle shape so will try and keep it at that angle:thumbup:

Cheers:)

20. fthaimike Forum Addict