Motorsport Suspension

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by speedo, Nov 15, 2003.

1. speedo New Member

Want to replace my coilovers with something very much track based, not really sure if the normal brands - fk, koni,spax etc - are going to be up for it so are there any brands which are particually track orientated ??

Like leda or ohlins types ??

Any clues or pointers will be excellant

p.s its barny at speedo's house - couldnt be ar5ed to log in as me !!!

2. edc1 Forum Member

A higher end quality coilover like Bilstein PSS9 with rebound and compression damping with custom springs might be a better compromise maybe? You seen the price of Ledas and Ohlins kit!! I'd love to have that sort of money.

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

SPAX do a track setup -- Trakspax i think they are called -- check their site.

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I was thinking of Leda`s but ended up getting KW var3 only slighty cheaper i might add which i suppose near top end of the consumer range . They seem ok so far but long term thrashing is required really so see how long they last.

I was more than happy with my Spax but the normal things happened to them seized adjusters on the back and then leaked like hell in the hot weather. Still they had a very hard life. The KW`s look for better quality and the rear rebound adjusters are behind a plastic C clip that rotates to reveal the adjuster (nice touch)

I wonder what the WRC boys use ?
    Edited by: dUff

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Think a few of the VW cup boys use LEDA stuff

H+R do a 'Nurburgring' kit, there's been talk of it on the Ringers list from the Porsche boys, trouble is the UK distributors have never heard of it! [:s]

Get a quote from Proflex ;) Mad20v did and nearly had heart failure, I think it was about 2000 :o

Short oval racer mate has just been given a set of these to try...

gaz shocks

Edited by: G_V_K

6. NormanCoal Forum Member

I use Gaz in the Mini - dont know if that adds anything, just thought I'd tell ya [:s]

7. IanCarvell Forum Member

Leda are the budget racers choice...that is why I used them but given a blank cheque there is better stuff like Proflex....Sachs.....KW....etc...etc.

You should be looking for double adjustable for the better quality....but then you need to understand how to use them. The better ones are about a grand per corner!!!

8. barny Forum Member

I'll explaine why i posted this.

all to do with avo's, i know a lot of guys have ahd problems but mine and speedo's have been very good over the last few years ...untill now.

Obviously in my accident i had to replace one of the fronts with a brand new one - how much are they bought individually :o :o so thought it best after a few months to send them all away for refurbishing. To my horror i found out the osr shoch piston was also bent after doing a track day at combe too.

So all was sent away and came back 3 days later looking much better ( they do not repaint but had spruced them up a little) and with new stronger springs all was refitted and felt Sooo much better !!

Car was deffo much more controlled under bump and rebound and gave so much more confidence when driving, i really was chuffed with my new set up.

then over a period of 3-4 days it was as if someone had flicked a switch and turned it back to the old setting. It floats and waddles are the best ways of describing it, fine on track but sh*te on the road.

So i'm thinking of starting again and spending a lot more on dampers, just wanted to know about the different types and peoples opinions, i want more of a racers view than the +80mm drop bad boys (no offence if its you ;) )

Obviously i run high poundage springs so the have to be able to cope with that too .....

have got connections with fk and spax, but i know if i ring them i'll get the salesmans schpeel - i want proven track record and experience.

thanks for the tips guys [8D]

9. GVK

Surely if Leda are good enough for a VW cup championship winning car they'll be *plenty* good enough for your track day car..
    Edited by: G_V_K

10. barny Forum Member

just waiting for their reply g ;)

11. edc1 Forum Member

AFAIK Bill's PSS9s with higher poundage springs have coped admirably. But, I do recall some posts where he noted they have rusted up a bit.

12. Pike Forum Member

The German Car company do some SACHS shockers with a remote reservoir, I can't remember if they are both bound and re-bound rate adjustable. I have found from my own experience that the Trax-Spax we had didn't deliver, but thats only from my own personal experience.

13. GVK

Bill grinned his nose up when I asked him about the PSS9s last week ;)

"they're alright" he said...

14. barny Forum Member

Well had a good email chat with a guy at leda, Gonna be aroud 700-800 with all he fittings - and god dammit another set of springs as there 2.5" not 2.25" grrr.

Gonna hold fire for the mo as funds are very tight but i think this will be the way i go as they have the track experience i'm after [8D]

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

Barny, if its any consolation, I paid more than the above for my PSS9 Billy kit!