My 1.3 8v Carb > 1.8 16v K-Jet (56k err)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mk1 driver, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Welcome. :lol:

I will add the rest of the pictures and more annotations after work. [:$]

P.S. Sorry to dialup users.

A 1.8 16v K-Jet engine. :) (from Cardiff)
    [​IMG]

Mk1 looking at it's new bigger heart. :p
    [​IMG]

Old 1.3 99k mile 8v Carb engine (complete with Weber) "awww".
    [​IMG]

That'll be my Gearbox, GTI Steering Rack and 5 speed gear linkage. (from Burnley sort of area)
    [​IMG]

So that's how all those bits work.
    [​IMG]

The GTI Steering Rack has a bracket on it for the 5 speed linkage. (clean up operation later on)
    [​IMG]

Gearbox after a jet wash, looks better.
    [​IMG]

First of the new parts (Wishbone ball joints). There are loads more genuine parts I've used on the car but didn't take any pictures. [:$]
    [​IMG]

Good diagram showing what the Cabriolet/Scirocco lift pump looks like (on the left). Personally I would use a lift pump fuel sender, not an extension piece on the carb sender as the main pump will have to work harder.
    [​IMG]

A couple of days spent on figuring out what went were. [8-}] [:-B] Most are colour coded, WUR - grey, Thermo Time Switch - brown and Cold Start Valve (5th Injector) - blue. Thanks to those on this forum and in particular Oplaii for reverse engineering virtuall all his engine electricals! :) Also thanks to vw_singh and infinity for the ECU wiring. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Getting somewhere with it...
    [​IMG]

More parts sourced from various forums. Cheers people. :)
    [​IMG]

Painted. [8D]
    [​IMG]

Nice wishbone.
    [​IMG]

Here's the rack. :)
    [​IMG]

Nearly ready to be lifted out.
    [​IMG]

Sourced another pump and accumulator as spares but I was really after the pump bracket (as seen here), I made a new cradle for it out of some mild steel and later had the brackets cleaned up and welded on.
    [​IMG]

New cradle.
    [​IMG]

Judgement day. [:D] The neighbours loved us making all the noise that weekend. :lol:
    [​IMG]

Looking a little sad but at the same time quite cool without a bonnet. [8D]
    [​IMG]

My brothers mate under the car doing some welding after successfully chisseling the drivers mount off of the chassis leg.
    [​IMG]

Chassis leg after mount removal.
    [​IMG]

This is how far we had got before it got dark, scottmk1 had some pictures of his drivers side engine mount which showed where it needed to be. Basically there are two indents at the top of the mount, you need to line these up with the groove in the chassis leg further up and of course flip it around 180 degrees.
    [​IMG]

This was then rectified on the Sunday.
    [​IMG]

A very handy picture for this conversion.
    [​IMG]

Mmmmm, wires. :p
    [​IMG]

16v in without bonnet. [8D]
    [​IMG]

.... more to follow after I'm home from work. :)

Time for the rest...

Mk1 GTI Oil Cooler from I V - mk1 16v, thanks Ian. :thumbup:
    I wanted to get one as from what I've read, 16v Mk1's run very hot so this was an ideal way to cool things down.
    [​IMG]

Ahh, heater pipes. I've put the valve on the left (which I think is the same as before anyway?). I have used a bit of Samco hose as it looks as though some Mk2 pipes are slightly larger in diameter than the Mk1 items. <I'll put the size and part number in if I remeber>
    [​IMG]

Slight update on the overall look.
    [​IMG]

Mk2/Corrado Airbox isn't going to work... but a Mk1 GTI one will. The tops are the same Mk1 and Mk2, so really you only need the lower Mk1 GTI part of the airbox.
    [​IMG]

Whilst figuring out all the fueling parts and other things I fitted some dash vents which I got from www.vwturbo.co.uk.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After: :)
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up the Oil Cooler bracket with my Dremel which I eventually bought for all the odd jobs like this. :lol:
    [​IMG]

Bless. :hug:
    [​IMG]

More new bits from Rally Design. Mk1 16v manifold, OMP front lower strut brace and Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat.
    [​IMG]

A word of warning about the manifold, ask for the fitting kit when ordering, it contains and olive and some springs, bolts etc. Looks nice. [8D]
    [​IMG]

Cabriolet/Scirocco lift pump fuel sender secures into the carb tank the same way. <I'll put the part number when I remember> [:$]
    [​IMG]

Painted wishbones with the OMP strut brace and Anti-Roll Bar brackets. :p
    [​IMG]

Old and New (well, painted GTI wisbones. note: holes on GTI wishbones for arb brackets).
    [​IMG]

How I did my manifold to brake servo connection cutting down the Mk2 pipe and joining them all up with two elbows <I'll put the part number down when I remember (again [:$])>
    [​IMG]

Mk1 GTI Clutch cable showing how the fitting kit goes on.
    [​IMG]

Manifold bolted up. [8D]
    The reason why I haven't wrapped it is because they tend to rot quicker as they trap in the moisture after a run, vw_singh's has lasted around 3 years unwrapped... replacing the clutch cable each year mind.
    [​IMG]

Complete accumulator (you dont have to use one but I wanted to get all the K-Jet parts together) in a sorry state but with new Pirtek fittings. <Pirtek part numbers to follow>
    [​IMG]

Looks like a stud from underneath where the accumulator had come from, came off with it! Took a fair few hours to cut off! :o
    [​IMG]

Dremel and a couple of hours came in handy.
    [​IMG]

Fuel hoses and clips from www.fuelsystem.co.uk. <I'll put part numbers and quantities later>
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up brackets welded on to the cradle I made.
    [​IMG]

Painted up accumulator and brackets, with new bushes, washers, bolts. [8D]
    [​IMG]

Painted accumulator and brackets and fuel pump cradle and brackets. (I have now fitted a new pump for piece of mind)
    [​IMG]

A bit tidier. [:$]
    [​IMG]

Fuel Pump Relay, all marked up on the side.
    [​IMG]

The fitting kit for the Ashley manifold which I had to phone up for... ~ 25.
    [​IMG]

Some new electrical goodies. :p
    [​IMG]

That's better, Mk1 GTI lower airbox piece along with a new fuel filter bracket and filter. (not fixed in)
    [​IMG]

Mk2 16v throttle cable...
    [​IMG]

... bend the pedal to take out the initial slack, then adjust the rest from the white part which has several grooves and a securing clip.
    [​IMG]

Must have done the Clutch before this point as we took the o/s inner flange off to get the gearbox back in... bad mistake. :lol: This what the VAG special tool looks like for compressing the flange back in. Thanks got to Oplaii again who I got the Flywheel and Pressure plate parts of (16v pressure plate gives a bit more pressure than the 8v item). The reason for this change is that the engine was from a Corrado, so this had a 228mm flywheel setup which is for a cable change gearbox, I needed a 210mm flywheel.
    [​IMG]

Another overall engine bay update.
    [​IMG]

This is how I cut my Mk1 GTI airbox (lower part) up to get it sitting lower. You can remove the whole bottom section but I will see how it goes with it like this.
    [​IMG]

Another picture to show where I've bonded it down on the chassis leg.
    [​IMG]

A-ha [:$], Father and Son team effort. :)
    [​IMG]

Ashley 2.25" exhaust system.
    [​IMG]

...followed by another problem. The bolts provided in the Ashley fitting kit are simply too short for the job. Bolts from a Peugeot 306 are about 15mm longer and are ideal, thanks Chris Ayre and vw_singh. :clap: A note about the olive (metal ring) is that you may need to cut almost all the inside of it out to get it to slide on.
    [​IMG]

Some painted steelies that came up for a good price. :p I will have my gold compomotive wheels on it at some point after a bit of refurb action. [8D]
    [​IMG]

Overview of the Metering head area.
    [​IMG]

Will need to keep an eye on this for the first few outings. (Brakes are 256x20 Mk2 items along with 22mm Master Cylinder and 9" Servo, also Goodridge braided hoses, all of which was carried out when I first got the car back in April last year)
    [​IMG]

Back to tidying the wiring again...
    [​IMG]

... suitable grommet from the Idle Stabilisation wiring spotted and I tucked through all my original wiring which came throught the original grommet which was in place before... (another thing you dont have to fit is the Idle Stabilisation module, if you dont fit this you will need to set the idle speed a bit higher and of course have less wiring to do)
    [​IMG]

...the extra long ISV wiring all wrapped up and consealed over to the right, naturally with the wiring coming from a Mk2, the fusebox is on the other side so there is a lot more length in some wires depending on where you mount the control box.
    [​IMG]

Main loom routed and wrapped up.
    [​IMG]

All nicely through an uncut grommet. [:D]
    [​IMG]

My latest purchase. Neuspeed 28mm rear Anti-Roll Bar which will be going on after it's been through an MOT as the one of the lower shock absorber bolts started to round and I dont have a fully kitted workshop.
    [​IMG]

More to add to this post as and when the next proceedings occur. [:-B] :thumbup:
    Edited by: mk1 driver

2. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

sweet dude cant wait to see it finished good job..

4. craig_corey85 Forum Member

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

Proper job! :p

6. Admin Guest

[:D]

sweet write up ;) :p [:D]

keep em coming

7. K13_RAN Forum Member

WOW, thats well done mate....im on that route too, only sourced the
    engine so far though..wee 1800 8v though, so i'll be in touch with you
    for various bits and bobs of help if thats ok hehe

8. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Looks great James! [:D] :clap:

Similar transplant will prob be next on my job list so keep your PM box empty! :lol:

9. vealige Forum Member

10. kirby Forum Junkie

Looks sweet mate :clap:
    Would love to do that conversion myself, but haven't got the space [:^(]
    How much have all the parts cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

11. TDB86 Forum Member

looks necta. :)

12. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Updated now!

Thanks peeps. [:$]

It couldn't have got this far if it wasn't for a number of people on this so a huge thank you to all those that has offered hints, tips, words of encouragement, information etc. :clap:

Awaits PM box abuse. [8(] Better to e-mail as and when - holster2@hotmail.com :)

:lol: I'll be glad to help anyone who has difficulties with the same or similar conversion but sadly cant help that much with GTI wiring as it's a bit [:-B] and I've wired in my fuel pump relay a different way to a GTI and also I only had to add about 2-3 wires into and around the fusebox to run the 16v engine. Most wire colours do the same anyway Mk1 and Mk2. I'll try my best if anyone comes into electrical problems.

Do I get the award for longest single post by the way? .... :lol:

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[:$]

I'm going to guess at 2k [:|]

I will check through my recipts soon and give a better answer to that along with finding some part numbers for things.

14. mk1vdub Forum Member

awesome dude, great thread, should be a sweet little motor :thumbup: [8D] :clap: [:D]
    Edited by: mk1vdub

15. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Nice update! [:D] Just one thing I noticed are you going to be able to change the headlamp easily?

16. K13_RAN Forum Member

great thread!!!!

so.....whats it like, run well?[:D]

17. mikedub Forum Junkie

:clap: :clap: :clap: [:D]

nice one !

18. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

19. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

:clap: [:D]

Good job :clap:

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Superb! Looks like a very neat installation and great write up. I used to have a Mars Red Mk1 GTI with a 16v engine in it, those pics bring back memories!

I'm currently fitting a 6a into my Mk2 [:D]