My 1.3 8v Carb > 1.8 16v K-Jet (56k err)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mk1 driver, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I did this ages ago, brief video of how the exhaust sounds (stationary).

Putfile or right-click, save as

I just want to drive the thing [:v:], trying to find someone to do a bit of welding work.

2. honky New Member

Seriously good thread! I'm about to start the same myself with a 6A. Will be using this thread as a reference point.

Thank you for taking the time to record and picture the steps :clap:
    Edited by: honky

3. honky New Member

How's she running now?

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Cheers honky.

I've only been able to take it down a small stretch of road and back a couple of times to check things over, it revealed a couple of problems, such as the speedo not working (I wasn't supplied with a drive gear), rear arches rubbing, front wheels catching mudflaps and general bits and bobs flying around the footwells when I was giving it some. [:$]

All in all, no major problems with the engine, everything seems to run ok, although I did note that the oil temp was getting up to 120 degrees, so that will require investigating, I run a Mk1 external oil cooler using a Mocal sandwich plate and I wasn't expecting the oil temp to get that high, other people with similar setups dont get as hot as that...

I've now fitted some coilovers on the back with quite a chunky looking Neuspeed rear anti-roll bar. I currently have a problem with the front coilover units (you can find that in the chassis section).

It's booked in for an MOT and wheel alignment on the 18th, so I've got everything crossed for then and hopefully if any problems occur, they can be fixed easily as I would like to get it on track for the following Sunday at Donington Park!

5. ManicGTI Forum Member

mate, have you had any luck with the ABF dizzy cap?

Is that the orientation it has to sit at? (in your pic)

Dave

6. ManicGTI Forum Member

altern8, any pics of your dizzy cap around?

:)

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I think that is the angle it sits on an ABF engine when I've seen pictures of Mk3 engine bays on the net.

I didn't want to wreck a 10 or so cap at the time, so I left it to one side. I'm sure that if you remove that raised bit you see on mine, that the cap would then sit flush but you would still need to find a way to stop it rotating around the distributor by itself...

The ones GSF/Euro sell might be missing that slight raised area on the inner lip, which is why altern8 never had any trouble with his, depending on where he got his from of course. Saying that though, it acts as a locator I think? but it's on the opposite side to the the KR item if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of pics of the cap altern8 has either!

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

James, drop Ian a PM (IV mk1 16v) he's got a similar dizzy cap on his .

9. ManicGTI Forum Member

have fitted the ABF cap to mine now, works fine, i'll wack up pics in a bit;)

Dave

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

A slight update:

I'm still not on the road yet. It failed an MOT on 5 items a month and a bit ago:

Horn - Wolfsburg centre push, missing a peg = replaced with standard wheel
    Buckled NSR wheel - hardly! = fitted 15" steels
    NS inner ARB bracket insecure = secured
    NSR sill corroded = repaired
    Exhaust leak = unleaked

Not bad to say it's been off the road for a year. MOT is this Saturdayand it 'should' hopefully sail through, the reason it's taken a while to get it re-tested is because I want that tested it the first time to re-check it and he works on a 3 week rota and I missed the last one as it was fully booked.

Driveshaft issue 1.3 > big engine + 020 5 Speed:

Minimum, you will need a GTI N/S driveshaft as this is shorter than the 1.3 item, the problem when using the 1.3 driveshaft is you cannot adjust for camber at all. With the GTI item, you can! I didn't bother to replace the longer O/S driveshaft as I could already achieve full negative camber with this.

Top = GTI, Bottom = 1.1/1.3:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A recent thread of mine relating to the speedo issue (I'm still yet to test if the speedo now registers correctly with the 1540, will know soon).
    Oil Pressure light problem with panel swap

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Couple of pics my bro took at work today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much change to the overall spec really, the seats are perhaps worth a mention though, sourced from a Scirocco with the height adjustable drivers seat [8D] and the rear bench which took a while to fit onto the mk1 frame, just needs a tidy up around the edges. Likewise with the bodywork and general bits and bobs at some point down the line.

Hope you like the 'sort of finished' (well, is it really finished?) article. I know I do. :)

12. scottmk1 Forum Member

lookin good jimmy:thumbup:

13. Bundles Forum Junkie

Looks stunning mate, well done on all your hard graft, It was worth it from where i am standing/sitting/typing :)

14. kirby Forum Junkie

Mate that looks wicked!!
    Love it.

Hard work paid off!

15. prof Forum Addict

looks great

16. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I bought an ABF dizzy from VAG, and it pointed to the back of the bay and not straight up. So in hindsight I should have paid half the price and bought the same Bosch cap from GSF.
    I then re-cut the notch into the side of the dizzy so the cap will point straight up giving far more room. As it was pointed to the bacl it was arcing though the lead where it had sliced through from rubbing on the brake fluid res.
    I removed the 2 screws from the side, and ground in 2 grooves 1 top and bottom for the clips to anchor in.

17. Admin Guest

great looking red mk1!!!

18. autohausdolby Forum Member

Quality thread! I'm just about to embark on a similar mission so I'm looking forward to reading this a lot [:D]

19. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

I love this thread! [:D]

Such a sweet Mk1, really inspiring... hopefully will be the next big thing for me (I say nearly 2years on!! :lol:)

20. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Eventually got around to taking my Mk1 to a rolling road to see what figures it is producing, as it'll be coming off the road for a brief spell whilst I fit some new bits, then I'll put it back on the rollers to see the differences.

Standard KR engine with around "85k miles", Ashley 4-1 exhaust manifold (2.25" > 2" system), plate type differential. Everything else pretty much bog standard, unless the 'power rohr' stainless induction pipe makes a difference... :lol:

[​IMG]

(Red - Power at the wheels, Green - Power at the flywheel, Blue - Torque)

142bhp @ 6083rpm
    129lb/ft @ 4400rpm -ish

Quite pleased with that for a fairly standard engine, with no setup tweeks or fueling mods.
    (Granted all rolling roads are different, some generous and some not so etc.)