My 16v Turbo Track Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sparrow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

i don't have a spare OZ 15" alloy. but if you are popping through somerset (i live in yeovil) then you're more than welcome to try one of your wheels over them.

as to jasons post... the 310mm hi-spec kit is virtually identical to the wilwood kit i have.

i believe Graham vanstone ran hi-specs on his mk1 and robT now runs them on his ibiza iirc.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Tarox do a six-pot 280mm kit that fits behind 15`s no problem. I ordered some then ran out of pennies![:^(] By all accounts they are an awesome setup. And only about 500.

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I saw them at autosport on the weekend. I must still have a look at their info that I picked up.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Strange. I looked at a Tarox set up for my Mk4, and they were frighteninlgly expensive, so I just discounted them. I'll have a look at them too.

Thanks for all the info guys.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All that you really need is a pair of 280mm discs, 2xWilwood Dynalites, a set of pads and some brackets made up. That's 300-400 in my book, with hoses.

6. StuMc

Speak to Awesome (www.awesome-gti.co.uk). They are well in with Tarox and can do some good deals. It does seem that the kits for the later models are much more expensive than for earlier cars (all good in my opinion!). Also they give good advice on preparing track cars and can source obscure parts even if they aren`t on the website.

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

According to Rally Design, I need midilites for 280mm disks, dynalites will only accept 256mm disks?

(woops - wires crossed, adding to your thread by accident.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cobblers to the clods. RD supplied me with Dynalites back in 2001, and Hi Spec did the brackets prior to going out on their own and making their branded calipers. Part numbers if you need them...

Having said that, there's a spare set of Dynalites with Mk2 brackets and 280s possibly up for grabs soon. Will let you know properly if/when they do.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

See what happens when you post at stupid o'clock! :lol:

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Cool, keep me posted.

11. StuMc

Quote:I think the chassis might be a little stiffer than standard! I jacked up the car at the front, and the rear wheel lifted first. Makes changing both wheels much easier. :lol:
    [​IMG]

Mine does that to (Koni coilovers, Neuspeed antiroll bars, and polybushed throughout)

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I picked up these today:

[​IMG]

Will hopefully fit them in a couple of weeks.

I have also picked up another Facet fuel pump (there are two in parallel, and both started leaking due to age), which I need to fit, as well as removed the passenger seat. I'm looking to move the current bucket seat over to the passenger side, and fit a more comfortable one on the driver side.

Also picked up another harness as their was no seat belt on the passenger side as well.

Should be some more updates coming soon.

13. Dub20vt Forum Member

nice one with the brakes! glad you finally found something suitable.

look forward to some more updates!

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Didi you ever try those alloys over the Wilwood brakes?

15. IanCarvell Forum Member

Did you ever find out the origin of this car....looks to me like its more likely to be a production saloon car than a Grp.A car.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, it's an ex-Quantum car I suspect (I was in the area when sparrow was looking at it)

There's a couple of scrutineering stickers on it and there's a guy that I've tried to get to look through his archives at the BRDC.

It's seam welded end to end and is in astonishingly good condition, but definitely production spec, std brakes etc.

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

My mistake, I'm not too hot on what the different classes were. [:$]

18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted the fuel pumps. Two brand new Facet Blue Top fuel pumps in parallel. They are rated at 35 Gallons an hour, which is about 2 liters an hour by my calculations. This should be good enough for 350bhp.
    [​IMG]

I could at last fit the cover on again. Feels much safer with that in place:

[​IMG]

Didn't get anything else done today. Was in bed the whole of yesterday with food poisoning or flu, not sure which. Still feeling it a bit today, so just took it easy.

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Update:

Stripped the current braking bits off, and found a world of lovely workmanship under there. The passenger side CV boot was not on properly, so there was grease all over the pads and disc on that side.
    Also, the screw to hold the disc in place was sheared off, so there was no screw holding the disc in place. You can see it on the left:

[​IMG]

Is it OK to run the brakes like this temporarily? I've got a Passat wide track set up to put on the car, but that won't be until next month. I'd like to get the brakes on so that I can at least drive it a bit. I'm not going to track it like that though.

First thing was to put her on axle stands and whip the wheels off:

[​IMG]

Pulled out the old master cylinder. At first I though the front strut was going to be in the way (as this is the first time I have ever pulled the brakes apart on a Mk2), but that wasn't a problem.

[​IMG]

Got the master cylinder out with out spilling any brake fluid where it wasn't supposed to go:

[​IMG]

Stripped the current calipers and discs off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the braided hose on there already. Chris gave me a shopping list of joints that I would need as a minimum. Good news is that I test fitted all the unions, and everything will fit straight on, so no faffing around with new bits that I don't have.

Will order some discs and brake fluid this week, and hopefully fit it all next weekend. However, my fiance's parents will be up for the weekend, so I may not have the time.

Any recommendations on where to buy some grooved discs?
    And also which 5.1 fluid to use? I drew the line at getting any from Halfrauds.

Took a pic of the rears, just while I was about it:

[​IMG]

Nothing exciting happening there, just already has braided hose on. :)

BTW, am I going to have any problems MOTing it with the brake lines as they are? I was wondering if the copper bits have to be there or not?

Should also be picking up some new engine bits soon. Watch this space. ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Oh yeah, also changed the rear boot strut so that I can work in the back of the car without having the boot fall on my head any more.

Also ordered the wrong head light adjustment screw from VW, but have ordered the correct one which I will fit next week.