My 16v Turbo Track Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sparrow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

shouldn't have a problem with them, as long as they're zip tied/held away from anything that will rub against them (driveshafts, hubs etc).

Notice the cars got wheel studs at the back.. do you have to replace them when you do the rear discs?

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Don't know, i haven't looked to see how they were put in yet. I'll have a look next weekend, or I might be able to look one evening this week. Yay, summer is on it's way! [:D]

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's fine to run the brakes without the locating screw - it's just a pain to have.

I drilled and tapped one out recently - a total fiddle to do, but all the better for it.

Rear studs should be interesting - photos from the inside of the disc pls! also. If they're not splined in from the back, or spot welded, you may be able to transfer them to new discs as/when.

Make sure the master cylinder is a 22mm item for the brakes btw - should be cast on the outside.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Drill it out with 5mm drill bit, and rethread with M6x1.0 tap, my drilling is pi55 poor but can manage it :)

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks.

I had a look at the rear of the studs when I got home this evening. Or rather, I tried to. There was some funny covering over it, and I can't even think how to describe it. It covers the axle and sits up against the back of the disc.
    I'll try and take a pic.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I presume the 20/4805 stamped on the outside means it's not a 22mm master cylinder?

Edit: Just checked the invoice, and it's a 20mm one. Will take it back on Friday.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's bizarre - the dirt shield isn't fitted on the pic above...

Camber/toe shims?

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Ignore me, I'm an idiot.
    They've been screwed in from the front, and spot welded in at the back. I doubt they will be transferable.

Also ordered some discs from Demon Tweeks today, along with some brake fluid. Should be here for the weekend, and I'll have Saturday morning to fit them before the in-laws to be arrive.

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Well, the discs and fluid haven't arrived, and I'm not in the office tomorrow, so I won't be able to complete the brakes this weekend.
    I'll fit the calipers and plumb them in, as well as the master cylinder after a trip to GSF. I'm also picking up a 9A box tomorrow, so will need to sort out what shifter I'm going to use.
    I will also be able to fix the front headlight, as the part has finally arrived at VW. I'm going to try to convince my neighbour to weld the hole in the exhaust over the next week, so the car should be back on the road in a week. :thumbup:

I then want to find out why the windscreen wash doesn't work. It's not the motor as the the wipers don't activate when pulling the stalk, but they do work normally.

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Big update time. [:D]

I bought these this morning:

Eurospec Rods:
    [​IMG]

JE Pistons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BBM Fuel Rail:
    [​IMG]

And finally, a Garrett GT2860RS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have a complete 9A engine out the back. I'm going to get the head down to the man in the shed soon. I'm trying to sort out the intake manifold first, so that it can be matched to the head, along with the exhaust manifold. I'll also be enquiring about some solid lifters, but that is budget depndant.

11. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Interesting project you're doing there mate! What management are you going to run?

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks.
    Hopefully DTA, otherwise Megasquirt.

13. Dub20vt Forum Member

wow nice update!

what sort of power is the turbo good for?

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

The turbo is good for 360bhp, so that should be fin when it's done.

15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I installed the brakes today. They are mounted up and plumbed in, but I need to replace the mounting bolts, as they are too short. I got some on Friday, but they are the wrong thread.

[RANT at Demon Tweeks]
    Also, ****ing Demon Tweeks are muppetts. I ordered the discs and fluid two weeks ago. "Yes, sir all in stock". I phoned up on Monday to find where my stuff was, "sorry, sir, the discs won't be in stock until tomorrow"!!
    So why did you tell me you had them in stock a week ago!?
    And when I got the brake fluid out to start bleeding the brakes, I found out that they had sent me Dot4 fluid, instead of Dot5 which I specifically asked for!! [:x] [:x] Twunts.
    [/RANT]
    I'll pick some fluid up during the week, and bleed them then. Now that the clocks have gone forward, I can do some work in the evenings. :thumbup:

I need to get some new caliper bracket spacers made up, as the ones on there are about 1mm to small, meaning the disc rubs on the caliper. I have spaced everything out with a washer as a temporary solution just to get it all mounted.

My neighbour has welded a patch over the hole in the exhaust, so that's also fixed.
    I replaced the one head light adjustment screw, only to find the other one is knackered as well. [8(] Ho hum. Will try and order one over the phone tomorrow, so I can collect it on Friday.

Optimistic...:lol:

I've got two options on the intercooler: one is from a Rallye, the other is a universal one from these guys. Still undecided here, as the Rallye one will be 300, and the other is only 120 or 130.

I've also ordered my LSD, but they are on back order until the end of the month.

Once I've sorted those two things, I can begin the conversion. [:D] Can't wait!

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

"Kerrching" and "cashback" turned in to 25.50, less eBay fees today. Oh well, better than a kick in the teeth.

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I'm taking a trip to the man in the shed tomorrow evening to pick up the head. It's completed, but not assembled. When I find an intake manifold, I'll take them both back, and he'll polish the intake manifold, and match it to the head, and then assemble everything as needed.

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Glad to read it's progressing Alex, just nip to GPR at Silverstone and get some Motul RBF600 fluid or mail order from Bill.

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Camskill stock it, and I need some tyres, so I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks Gary.

20. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

hoping your eurospec rods dont little end rattle from new like mine did. still work fine on muchos boost and a race season under their belt, but rattly.
    Scat ones in customer car silent and a fraction of the price. doh!