My 16v Turbo Track Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sparrow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Me too!!

Are the Scat rods in Mat's car (the white Mk4)? Looks like that's going to be quite mad as well.

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Well, the brakes are in and working. The car stops now!! Hooray. However, if I stand on the brakes, the left rear still locks. Didn't have much of a run to play with things, but I like the brakes so far.

I've also sourced a Rallye intercooler, so that solves that problem. I'm going to be ordering some bits from the States this week, so most of it should be here by the end of next week.
    The only thing that's not really sorted is a down pipe, but it looks ATP might have one for me.
    Peloquin ATBs are still on back order, so that could be an issue.
    I'm also trying to decide between lightening the standard flywheel, or getting an Autotech aluminium one.

It's also with regret that I'm going to have to get Stealth to do the conversion, I just don't have the time. [:^(] I was really beginning to look forward to doing this. I just hope they can have it done in time for my trip to the 'Ring next month, as they're a bit busy with another conversion at the moment.

3. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Good luck mate! Sound like its going to be a bit of a tool!

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. I'll have it at the Stealth RR day in it's current form, misfire and all, just to see what she does as standard.

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out too.

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Well, a couple more bits have arrived.

DTA S40 Pro ECU:
    [​IMG]

3" downpipe:
    [​IMG]
    The car has a 3" system front to back, so I made sure to get a downpipe to match. ATP supplied it, as they also had the outlet flange I needed for the turbo.

Other than that, the piping for the intercooler has arrived, and that's about it. Hasn't even been started this week, as I've been too busy. I was hoping to have a dig around underneath to find some loose bolts (or at least what is causing the knocking from underneath) this weekend, but never got close.
    I have nearly finished stripping the block. I'll drop that off at Stealth so that it can be rebored for the 83mm pistons, as well as get the fly wheel lightened at the same time.

I managed to chip a tooth on the pulley on the end of the crank shaft, so will need to replace that.

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I dropped the block off at Stealth on Friday, but realised I had the wrong flywheel. I need one for an O2A box, and I still had my O2O flywheel. If anyone has one, please let me know.

I also spoke to Vince, and he said I haven't got a "snowballs chance in hell" (his words) of getting the conversion done by Stealth by the end of next month, which means it won't be done for my 'Ring/Spa trip. [:^(]

I don't know whether to spend some money on it now sorting out a few bits, or just take the lardy Mk4 along next month. It would be a waste of money fixing the problems, as they will all be removed then the conversion is done. But it would be much more fun to go in this car. [:s]

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

any more updates :)

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not much news. The engines at Stealth now for the rebore and the balancing.
    I measured up the distances needed for the engine loom for the new ECU. Vince is ordering that and the new sensors, including the crank trigger disc, which a 9A doesn't have.

I've found where the water leaks in at the front, so need to fix that. I need to find the water leak at the rear, but haven't had a chance to find that yet.

Biggest problem is that I'm still waiting for the intake manifold and injectors to be shipped from the States. I ordered and paid for these 4 weeks ago, as there was one company I could find that could make me one. However, now they are stuck waiting for the injectors I want, but their supplier can't get any. [:v:] It's not holding anything up yet, but I need the intake manifold so that I can get the head back to the man in the shed to match everything up and put the head back together. This is going to hold things up soon though, so getting a bit antsy.

Took the car to Stealth for the RR day a couple of weeks ago, and she made 141bhp at 5800 where she started misfiring. Timings out (pinking) so I'm quite happy with that.

Decided to just take the Mk4 to the 'Ring and Spa, and will just have to go back to Spa again when this cars done. :p

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

At last, the inlet manifold has arrived!!! Bloody Bahn Brenner. [:x] Also got the Genesis injectors.

[​IMG]

This means a trip back to the man in the shed, so that he can match the inlet and exhaust manifolds to the head, and finish assembling the head.

The crank is assembled, the block is stripped, and it's all ready to go for balancing. Unfortunately the pistons have the wrong compression (they are 9:1, but for a 1.8 crank, not a 2l). Fortunately the guy I bought them from realised before it was too late. He's been good about it though, and will take them back.

Vince is ordering some Wossner pistons this week (I hope), so the bottom end should be off for balancing next week.

I'm still also waiting for the lsd to arrive, but that shouldn't hold things up for a while yet.

I need to make a trip to the scrappy for a Mk4 shifter and cables, as well as the tower from an O2J box. I also need to replace the rear bumper and NS rear light cluster on the Mk4 after my trip to the Ring. Fortunately there were no barrier charges.[:$]

I'll be at Inters on Sunday, so might give this car a run out there and back.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Coming together by the look :). Fairly big project all in all...

13. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Slooooowwwlllyyyyyy. But getting there. Unfortunately with the wedding and the honeymoon, I'll never be able to get it built, run in and mapped before the Ring trip, so I'm going to have to miss out on that this year. I know a few friends who are going in October, so I might be able to make that one instead.
    It's definitely a bigger projcet than I initially thought, but so much fun.

Pistons have arrived, so it should be off getting bored, knife edged and balanced as we speak.

The inlet manifold was really well done. The man in the shed took one look at it and said there was nothing he could do to improve it, and the exhaust manifold was just right as well. So he assembled the head, which I picked up this week.

I also got let down by a member who promised me an LSD for an O2A, and then didn't deliver. However, I managed to pick up an O2J with LSD from a friend, so will use that instead. Just need to change the flanges over to 100mm.

I also picked up a VR6 TB at Inters for next to nothing, as well as a replacement light for the Mk4, so that was a good trip.

With all the rain, the car hasn't moved for weeks due to the leaks. Right now though, it's wedding and work, so cars have taken a bit of a back seat. Ho hum.

14. Olly_P Forum Member

lol, i bought a mk2 gti with those 'daft' m3 mirrors, i agree, there crap! replacing them soon, managed to buy some standard mirrors off ebay form 99p!

15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Last of the big spenders!!! :lol:

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Took a trip to Stealth to drop some bits off today. The block was being built, so i took a couple of pics.

Pile o' parts:
    [​IMG]

Nice clean block:
    [​IMG]

New bores:
    [​IMG]

Balanced crank:
    [​IMG]

Crank trigger sensor:
    [​IMG]

Wossner pistons on Eurospec rods:
    [​IMG]

There won't be any more updates now until the end of August due to the wedding and honeymoon. I get back around the 23rd, and will be dropping the car off then for the real work to start.
    Stay tuned. :)

17. mk1steve Forum Member

what do you think about the eurospec rods??
    are they good quality well made etc?
    i have a set on order and am a bit anxious as to whether i have made a good decision lol:lol: [:s]

18. Jonny777 Forum Member

Looking good! :)
    Very much looking forward to when this is finished!

Good luck with the wedding!

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Currently I think they look pretty. :lol: No idea what they perform like, but we'll see. Bill uses them in the mad Beezer, so there can't be too much wrong with them.

20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, and thanks again. I can't wait either.