My 20vT MK2

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Richard Mk2, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive been busy doing a few things with my Project GT this weekend.
    My Blue dash l.e.ds from crazyleds came on Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my disappointment they wasn’t a direct fit as they had previously said, so I had to remove the leds from the twist bulb holders they supplied, and use the old bulb holders which were blown. Was quite straight forward really, but i had to solder the Leds to the old terminals in the casing. They do look great now tbh…

[​IMG]

Decided to have a go at fitting the new mint door I had bought from L-O-M-A-X today. I had to remove everything from my old door and bolt it all on to my new one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was very easy as I had first thought, and I had it all done within the hour!!! Not bad really… Looks so much better than the old one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old one was so rusty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was even coming away at the bottom

[​IMG]

A quick little pic of both of my Golfs side by side!!!

[​IMG]

I used some Gunk to clean the sides of the engine and they were looking quite tacky. Took the battery out and was surprised the battery tray seemed in very good condition. The Gunk cleaned all the grease and oil away and brought it up like new.
    Result!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next stage will hopefully be taking the Driver head off with the carb, and carb manifold ect… And try and get the ecu all linked up…

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

don't suppose you fancy a swap to electric windows? you can have everything you need from mine if you give me your windy bits plus a few pennies.... :lol:

3. Richard Mk2

I was thinking of putting electric windows previously into mine, but had a change of heart and decided not to. I'll ask a couple of my mates who own Mk2's if they would be interested if you want.
    :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

I thought i'd strip the whole front of the car down today, removing the bonnet and slam panel, to make it easier for me next week, when i put the GTi lump in.

[​IMG]

Was very suprised that the front of the car was in such great condition, with no rust in sight at all... But mostly caked in wax oil, so i'll be removing most of that to get it looking clean and shiny...

[​IMG]

I was going to paint up the slam panel but as it was in great condition, i just Sprayed some gunk on to get all the crap off, and it came up like new!!!! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Im going to take my time with this project. I want everything done right and want the engine bay as clean & as tidy as possible...
    Will be replacing mostly everything in the bay with new items, as i want to get it back to looking clean and original... Should be fun :thumbup:

Aiming to get it done by next year. Can't wait till its finished but ive got a long way to go yet!!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Fair play mate. I have just put an ABF 16V engine into my corrado! Sweet as a nut! took me about two weeks, with all the cleaning and part ordering in the middle. Did you look at the idea of a 16v?

Good luck with it all! :thumbup:

6. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate... :thumbup:

Im hoping it to be a pretty straight forward swap. I know its going to be a pain linking up the loom and the fuel pumps, but its all worth it and im hoping to learn alot from this conversion...

Yea, i was thinkng of going for a 16v conversion, but i decided to go for the 8v option. Mainly becasue its such an easy, straight swap. Plus i got the whole engine, loom and Ecu for under 100, which isn't too bad tbh... I love the characteristics of the engine and the sound of an 8v too...

How did your swap go then. Was it a pretty straight forward conversion?
    Ive always liked Corrados tbh, Would love to have the chance to own one some day soon... :thumbup:

Yours looks nice... Havn't seen many in that nice blue ....

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  7. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Mine was really straight forward. I am running the ABF engine on the K-Jet so there was no need to any wiring etc. I literally just swapped the lumps over. It was pretty easy I guess, I did have to go do loads of research as I had never done anything like that before. Was good fun and a great learning curve. Know a lot about the engine and stuff now in the Raddo.

I love the blue, its the Pearl blue so changes depending on the sun..! :)

8. Richard Mk2

Finally sold the 17" alloys last week. So now its just sitting on 3 space savers and a GTi steelie LOL !!!
    Im on the look out now for a nice set of BBS Ra's. Let me know if your selling a set anyone...

Well today, i decided the remove the rear big bumper, as it has been sitting to one side for a little while, leaving a bigger gap around the top.
    Found out whilst removing the bolts that im missing one on the rear passenger side, so need to replace that soon.

When removing the rear bumper, i noticed that it had gone real dirty behind it, so decided to give it a quick wash and polish, but got carried away slightly and metal polished the whole Exhaust too LOL

[​IMG]

Was well pleased with the end result. Again, no rust in sight. Just caked in Wax!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recieved my complete loom on Sat morning too. The guy who i bought it from was very helpful, and took half a day carefully removing every bit of wiring from the car. And only charged me 30. Result!!!

Basically there are 9 sets of various wires.

[​IMG]

I can sort of tell which is which, but if any could help and identify them for me itll be much appreciated guys :thumbup:

1. This one definately plugs into the ecu ect...
    [​IMG]

2. Not too sure on this one?
    [​IMG]

3. Not too sure on this one?
    [​IMG]

4. ...???
    [​IMG]

5. Again not too sure

[​IMG]

6. ???
    [​IMG]

7. ???
    [​IMG]

8. ???
    [​IMG]

9. ???
    [​IMG]

Any help would be great guys... Cheers!!! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  9. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Looking good! Hoping to do an ABF transplant on mine so will also be de-gunking bits :)

Is that 'Gunk' stuff the best for removing the crud? How easily does it come off once you've applied it?

I think I recognise a few of the connectors on the wiring looms, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:
    4. Dash Switches
    6. Steering column/stalks etc.
    7. Front indicators
    9. Front lights

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  10. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate. An ABF in a Mk2 will be a great swap :thumbup: Have you bought the ABF lump yet?

I use the Gunk spay, instead of the Gunk foam you can buy.

[​IMG]

Basically, you just spray it on and it removes any dirt/grease/ect in that area.
    You can literally see the dirt dripping off. Give it a wipe off with a cloth and its done.
    If your doing it on bodywork, give it a good polish afterward like i did with the rear and the end result is brilliant.
    Ive used it around the sides of the engine bay too, and it took all the grease off straight away!

Cheers for that too mate. Its going to be a right nightmare working out what is what, but its got to be done.

11. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Not bought one yet - not quite got the space to do it yet (will be moving house and changing job very shortly). Probably will try to buy a complete Mk3 rather than the engine alone, but it depends what comes up. Would love to get rid of K-jet too, but maybe not quite yet!

Thanks for the Gunk info - will be sure to buy a can. Good luck with it all!

12. Richard Mk2

13. Richard Mk2

Didn't get much done on the MK2 over this weekend, as i had a real bad hangover [xx(] from last nights BBQ. Was a good night and we all had a good laugh...

I went through the engine loom again today, labeling up every wire/plug, as Rubjonny had pointed out where everything goes... Which was a real big help...

I went through the fuel loom to, but came stuck on some plugs, which are now posted in the electrical forum if anyone can help indentify them...

Got a little board so decided to strip the outside of the engine down too. Started off with taking the old rocker cover which had gone rusty, and replaced it with my Chrome/polished one. Will be painting the bottom end and gearbox silver next weekend hopefully too...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GAve the head a good clean with some GUNK spray, and most of the grease/dirt came off. Looks much better to look at now...
    Then off with the old alternator which will be replaced with a shiny new one, and all the coolant hoses/flanges and metal water pipe - which i spayed with Hammerite silver.

Came up like new
    [​IMG]

Then i decided to clean up the throttle body, which was black before.
    Came up quite good really

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So not much going on with the MK2 really.
    Im looking forward to Inters on Saturday though, cant wait.
    Got 500 to take with me, so will be hunting through the Autojumble and the trade stands for some goodies...

[:D] [:D] [:D]

14. Richard Mk2

Managed to do some little jobs on the MK2 today...

At Inters, i bought some MK4 sytle door handles, and decided to fit them today.
    Straight fit, it only took me 15mins [:D] They look quite nice compared to the original ones [8D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to have a go at painting the head and the inlet today to.

They came up real nice and it has really transformed the look of the engine now.

Here is a few pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It came up real nice, and looks great with the polished rocker cover.

Will be painting the bottom end black next weekend and will paint the gearbox silver too...

:thumbup:

15. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Coming along really well mate.

16. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Will be very pleased once the project is finished. Not going to rush into things, as long as its ready for Inters 2010 [8D]

I can't wait to get the engine in and have it running.
    Thats when the real hard work will begin though, getting that loom in, ect...

But im always up for a challenge, and i love working on my MK2's...:thumbup:

17. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I do like the chinese style door handles. Had a set on my Golf. I want to get my handles off and get them painted up on the Raddo!

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looking good. Should have camped at inters though, was lots of fun. we bought a 1.5ltr bottle of whisky off the bar guy and got hammered!!!

19. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Looking good, but I'm sure I've read that those door handles are poor quality and always requiring some tweaking to actually work? Have you had any problems?

20. Richard Mk2

No problems at all mate (touch wood) . They seemed really nice when i fitted them today.

It literally took me 15mins to unbolt the old ones, un screw the key lock out, and fit the new ones in its place :thumbup:

I tried them several times after fitting them and they seemed great. Good quality to.
    I bought them from the Volksbits stand at Inters. :thumbup: