My Mars Red Mk1 - Thread REBOOT- P82

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vw_singh, May 5, 2008.

1. Yoof Forum Member

In terms of roll centre correction, not much (pivot point remains the same), but if the reason for spacing is wishbone clearance then it addresses that.

2. blis Forum Member

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Started working through my list of jobs to sort out before I take the mk1 to Spa and the Ring in April so this is what I have done so far.

Turbo Actuator

At Brands hatch, there were signs of the turbo actuator hitting my cage strut brace. Yes i know one of you mentioned this might be too close before and you were right. You can make out the witness marks just behind the actuator on this photo.

[​IMG]

So I removed the bracket and chopped it up.

[​IMG]

End result is that I moved the actuator further down under the strut brace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope the engine doesn't lift as hard on deceleration now....

Spherical Bearings

Then I turned my attention to the bushings on the chassis. I had a set of SCCH control arm and axle bushes ready to go on so I removed the 10+ year old Bugpack bushes and press fitted the new items. To be fair, the Bugpack bushes lasted the test of time well and were still usable.

Get the car up.

[​IMG]

Control arm front bushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a big bolt and some sockets to press them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That should tighten up the front further.

The rear axle received the same treatment.

Bum in the air.

[​IMG]

Old brackets out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Press fit new bearings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Throttle Linkage

I wasn't happy with the way my throttle linkage was operated and I knew it would be a matter of time before failure. I currently had a small hole drilled through the linkage on the pedal through which the wire passed through. This would eventually eat the wire and snap it.

[​IMG]

So I bought a cable kit manufactured by Venhill.

[​IMG]

The kit is comprehensive but I only needed some of it. The rest would make good spares.

[​IMG]

I fitted a clevis to the linkage so that the cable could articulate better with operation.

[​IMG]

Much happier with that and hope that service life will be better too.

More to follow....

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Jon Olds, Yoof, Sirguydo and 2 others like this.
  5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Gear linkages

The gear linkages were the next thing on the list. I had replaced one of my cable ends with a copy part but this kept slipping adjustment on track meaning missed gears etc. Not good. The genuine VAG ones never missed a beat but I decided to fit spherical ones just like Prawn did on his A3.

Firstly I removed the brackets from the shift tower and proceeded to remove the now redundant ball ends.

[​IMG]

Then end end of the cable was cut to length and tapped with an M6x1 thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This allowed some M8 spherical bearings to fit with some M6-M8 adapters on them. These were bolted to the shifter brackets using M8 bolts and there we have it! Smooth shifting and strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brakes and Pedal box

The pedal box had been a great addition to my setup but it wasn't quite right. The back plate of the box flexed when pressed hard so I highlighted this to OBP. They were very helpful and promptly turned around a thicker gauge backing plate which solved the issue.

I wasn't happy with the brake effort required on the pedal either. It was very very high. I had chosen a 0.625" master for the front brakes and a 0.75" one for the rear given the rear disc brakes. My feelings were that the 0.75" master was too big and causing the extremely hard pedal. I switched out the rear master for a 0.7" item instead and bled the brakes through. A quick test drive confirmed my suspicions. The pedal effort had now drastically decreased and I can easily lean on them now without causing leg fatigue.

On top of this, the driver side brake line had suffered possible damage when the extender broke as it would have got yanked. To be sure, I ordered and fitted new brake lines from HEL and gave the system a final bleed.

[​IMG]

I had some Castrol SRF sitting unopened waiting for when I was happy with my brakes. I now am so I bled the fronts with SRF and the rears with ATE Type200. The rears never see the abuse of the fronts so seems like a waste to use SRF there.

[​IMG]

While I was in that area, I gave the pads a quick check. These Pagid RLS-1's have now seen 3x trackdays and only wore them down by 1-1.5mm. Result! The g60 setup was killing a full set of pads per trackday and discs were wearing out fast too.

[​IMG]

More work is going on in the run up to the trip and I hope to fit in a dyno tune and find out what can be squeezed out.

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Nige, pascal77uk, 1.8T_mk2 and 4 others like this.
  6. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I've just seen you on the BTG live feed at the Ring! best of luck buddy, hope all goes well :)

vw_singh and pascal77uk like this.
  7. fabil New Member

Hi Gurds

in the return line oil from the cath for the pan, you use a one way valve ?
    where the hose is connect to the pan? in the same hose from turbo oil return?

regards

8. CrAzY_DrIveR New Member

hi what audi parts? i think it's dangerous to bore for the larger bearing

[​IMG]

9. CrAzY_DrIveR New Member

on mine i have the mk2/3 knucles and corrected the hight of the steering joint because of different geometry and bump steer problems.
    I had the mk3 hubs but now i use mk4/vr6 hubs for the even bigger spline and cv joints.

[​IMG]

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi, it's a straight drain with a T-piece into the turbo drain, no one way valve. I also added a PCV (high pressure one way valve) to the inlet manifold as I found that moisture was building up in the breather system. The PCV has completely stopped this issue.

Gurds

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thank you very much for your help. I think your solution is better and am looking to do the same now. Have you got any more info on the VR6/mk4 setup? I am currently working towards fitting the mk2 stuff with either the larger late mk2 hubs or VR6 as you have.

Gurds

12. R4cup New Member

What a lovely little Mk1 you have here gurds, top work & driving too :clap:

Must come down to 1 of the track days to see this in the metal!

Im hoping to track my car once its mapped, spherical gear linkage, do u mind me asking where u got them from?

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks! If you ever do, feel free to come over and say hi.

The spherical linkage parts were just collected from various vendors on line as they are nothing special. M8 female rod ends with some M8-M6 male to female adaptors. It was Prawn (Nick) on here who gave me the idea.

Gurds

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Just to let you all know I'm still here, I still have my car and I'm doing more stuff to it. I will get round to updating this thread eventually. Just to give you a flavour of what I'm doing is:

- Re-engineered front uprights with more durability and better geo.
    - New ball joint extensions.
    - New transmission setup.
    - Revised power delivery.

Gurds

pascal77uk, possle, G-adams and 7 others like this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

This makes me happy.

vw_singh likes this.
  16. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Gurds I haven't forgotten about the pics you wanted, just haven't had a chance to sort them yet!

Hope to see you out on track next season ??

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks Tristan!

No probs Tim(Corrected). I got something sorted now anyway but would be good to see what you have too.

I won't be Racing, not financially viable this year but will be out on track hopefully.

Gurds

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^That would Tim...lol

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

[:s] lol

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The red boosted beast is one of my favourite cars, ever

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

vw_singh likes this.