My personal experience with a MK7 Golf GTD with DSG

Discussion in 'Mk7' started by G-Man, Mar 19, 2015.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Well I've just hit 3,000 miles so thought I'd put my little review of how the last 6 weeks with my Golf GTD has been with the DSG.

Coming from a ph1 Clio 172 I knew that a Golf GTD with a DSG was never going to be as exciting to drive.

However the more and more I drive the GTD I realise how good the car is as an all rounder that anyone can simply jump in and enjoy.

Engine
    My last diesel was a Volvo D5 2.4 lump which had bags of torque throughout the rev range and the one thing that the 2.0 GTD lump surprised me with is that the torque is spread across a greater range than expected. The lag is very minimal, however it's clear that the power drops off quickly after 4,000 rpm.

Noise wise, it's not as nice as my old 5 cylinder Volvo lump but in sport mode the soundaktor is activated and creates a deeper noise inside the cabin. However this doesn't really tick the box for me but I'm sure some people will like it.

However when moving the engine is very flexible, eager to rev but it's still noticeable that it's a 2.0 TDI rather than a larger displacement engine.

Does it feel like it has 181hp? I would say so but it's delivered in a very smooth fashion that is easy to use.

Chassis
    Not really exploited this too much but it does have bags and bags of grip, but the steering feels a bit vague will not much feedback when on the limit. With the electronic diff it's quite easy to use the torque to pull out of bends with ease. Suspension is great and is a nice balance for everyday driving. Standard tyres are Bridgestone S001, which I haven't been impressed in the current weather conditions. When accelerating hard the anti-tramp feature comes to life which is great as the power isn't cut aggressively like some cars.

At higher speeds the car feels very stable and can carry the speed through a corner without too much of an issue, but I presume from reading the GTI suspension is set up slightly better.

Steering modes can be changes from Eco, Normal and Sport but I actually prefer the lighter Eco rather than the 'fake' weighted feel of the Sport mode.

Brakes are really good, with great feel and modulation to control when pushing the car.

Traction control isn't too invasive I found but will need to explore the options more as I know you can alter this within the car's menu, but a couple of times I could feel the car 'adjust' midway through a corner when pushing it.

Gearbox
    My biggest concern with the GTD is the pairing of the 6 speed wet gearbox with a diesel engine due to various moans and groans. But for me, wow what a gearbox. Despite missing the short snappy gears in the clio, the DSG gearbox is absolutely amazing with the GTD's engine.

Pulling off roundabouts is no issue unlike some people report; once you understand how the gearbox works you can pull out of junctions quickly and safely without having to snatch for another gear.

Gear changes are very smooth and quick, and when using Eco you can really use the torque of the engine with the gearbox with no issues. The way the engine makes power/torque is used perfectly with the gearbox so never do you feel like the engine is laboring in a too high gear or being over-revved.

When giving it the full potatoes, yes I miss the heel toe shift and sometimes I find myself wanting to work my way down the gearbox, but you find yourself concentrating more on the road and driving rather than the controls. Admittedly coming out of a few corners there's been a couple of times I've pressed on the gas too late so by the time the engine and gearbox 'wakes up' I've already exited the corner.

In Sport however, the car can sometimes downshift 1 gear too many which leaves you in 2nd gear at 4,000 rpm outside the power band, but to avoid this you just make sure you don't simply mash the pedal to activate the kick down switch on the pedal box.

In Eco the car will put itself in neutral and coast along, which at first takes getting used to and forward planning to avoid the car running away. As soon as you tap the brake it re-engages the gearbox.

I don't really use the paddles, but they are really good and respond quickly. However the gearbox is so good it's hard to pick a better gear and makes a very relaxing drive.

Off the lights from a standstill, well the launch control is pretty good and not in a millions years could I replicate the same with a manual.

MPG:
    At first I reported 40mpg average, but now even at 3,000 miles it's averaging 45mpg with ease including giving it the beans. This seems perfect given the DSG takes away at least 5mpg.

As the car beds in I'll report back as no doubt I'll exploit the cars handling potential further.:p

If anyone has any questions about the Golf GTD or DSG let us know :thumbup:

Richard Mk2, jamesa, bootsie and 4 others like this.
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What does it look like? ;)

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Not taken any real photo's as such but here she is parked next to our little Up! we also bought a couple of months ago :)

Once I've got some more time I'll get some happy snaps of both cars to share.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks a right beast!!!

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

I looked after my friends GTD for a week or so, and I've got to say, I was very impressed with it. :thumbup:

That was DSG too. My GTI is a manual though, and tbh I do prefer it. But you can't fault the DSG gearbox at all.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Have to admit, if it was a GTI I would want a manual but the TDI engine doesn't ever feel exciting nor does it entice you grab it by the scruff of the neck so the DSG suits the 'lazy' feel of the diesel torque. Would love to see what the mk7 is like as looking on the net the GTI is a lot faster than the GTD.

I have used the paddles to drive the GTD as a manual but have to say for my commute slapping it in auto works best as doesn't really add any more exciting using the paddles personally.

Currently driving a stretch of roads in the morning that I did last year in the Clio 172, and have to say the GTD covers ground quickly and effortlessly but I had more fun doing the same roads in the Clio 172.

In the wet and slippery roads I'm finding the back end starts to balance nicely on the limit then it feels like the traction controller/computer kicks in to bring it back in line.

7. Matthew Mott New Member

Hi
    Just wondered if you still have the GTD, I’m thinking of buying one Mk7 possibly with a Dsg box , would be first auto had lots of golfs mainly mk1 & 2 GTIs , at present have a mk 6 gt tdi had for six years been a great car
    But now looking at changing for what will probably be my last combustion engine car as plan to keep it for around 8 years just be interested to know your opinion on your how long you owned it for reliability thoughts on the dsg box etc
    Thanks in advance