N249, delete or relocate.

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Smiffy_79, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Smiffy_79 New Member

Hi all, my 1.8t gti has been remapped by the previous owner to a claimed 230bhp so realistically it’s probably nearer to 190bhp. I want to lose the engine cover and paint the valve cover and would like to either delete or relocate the n249. My question is should I delete the n249 or just relocate it to somewhere else in the engine bay. I’m concerned that deleting it completely might upset the remap. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. RBPE Forum Member

Depends on the map/mapper really, you need to speak to them, retention of full control systems is always best but people do things differently so depends on what they do really, none 249 set ups have lasted but if Bosch/VAG spend millions on development then I'll side with them at the end of the day, it's common sense!

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is there and controlled by the ECU, to reduce the chances of compressor stall. Folks who delete them should expect shorter turbo durablity.

If it is removed, the driver that runs the solenoid must have it's diagnostics switched off via the engine map.

No other untoward effects occur if the N249 solenoid is removed.

4. Smiffy_79 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I’ll leave it be I think. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.