Need help Passat 1994 2.0 2e

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by IgorCRO, Aug 20, 2019.

1. IgorCRO New Member

Hello all sorry if was thread similiar to this one. I bought Passat for engine swap to my mk2. Problem is next when is engine cold is all ok he start to run without problem. But when is warm there is no chance. I plug my VCDS and scan for errors found one engine temperature sensor. Buy new sensor same problem after that when i take off tessa tape from cables I see that someone did some thing with that. My VCDS shown all time -40 C deegres. So i follow the cables and see that two cables are connected and other two no. but i have different colors so now no idea what to do. i will post a picture and if someone know what to do please write. I m pissed off because my car stall 25km from my home. thanx and sorry for my english.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wire it like this:
    1 - brown/white
    2 - brown
    3 - brown/green
    4 - yellow/red

the terminals are junior/power timer, ideally get some new ones and crimp direct to the wires. you need wire seals as well, with patience if you release the terminals from the plug you can swap the wire seals over.

people have used bent paperclips, hairpins, metal strips out of a wiper blade etc. Or the proper tools are not too expensive if you shop around. Theres a cheaper one shown in this thread which I used to use way back in the day once I modified it slightly:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-crimp-connectors-and-tools.192104/

erreesse likes this.
  3. IgorCRO New Member

Thank you very much so i just need to connect this. I will use a tape just to move car after that will do on right way. Do pins on connector have numbers ? Just to know where need to connect.

4. rubjonny

yes the plug has the pin numbers on it :)

5. IgorCRO New Member

Thank you so much for help. Will try to fix that today later and give back if I have succes.

6. IgorCRO New Member

day two. first i find cable with white/black color (pic1) and I follow that and he was under dashboard and was connected to some non orginal switch(pic2) with yellow cable(pic3). that white/black cable was connected to temp sensor cable brown color. So i press that button and vcds shown 120 C deegres so if is not pressed it is -40. Think that someone install that for starting up when engine is cold. I remove that cable unplug and leave there. I follow rubjonny instruction connected pins with cables and car started . first few secunds the rpm was not working after that was ok. I leave car to warm up and switch off engine and after that again motor is started up so now is ok when is warm. No problems. Only thing now is that radiator fan dont work it was near 95 and nothing.
    And have one more question i have also one cable near to oil filter green/black and that cable is not connected (pic4)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more time rubjonny thanx for help.

7. IgorCRO New Member

update car stoped after i turn on engine it works 15 seconds and now is dead

8. rubjonny

very nice cold start solution there :lol:

with radiator fan it should cut in when gauge gets to around 3/4, so usually just over 100 degrees coolant temp. To make sure fan and wiring is ok disconnect the thermoswitch and loop a wire between the red and red/white to get fan on slow and then to red/black to get it going on fast speed.

green/black is oil temp sensor for MFA, it goes to a small white sensor on the oil filter housing.

when you say engine is dead, what exactly are the symptoms?

9. IgorCRO New Member

Yes very nice cold start solution LOL. So yesterday when i connected car was startnih ok only when was cold the machine working rough iddle going up and down. When reach temperature iz sad ok. So when I was going to drive him last night iz started well rpm was around 1000 and after I want go and drive he cut off and after that refuse to start.

10. rubjonny

so will it crank on the starter or completely dead? if it cranks does the rev counter jiggle?

11. IgorCRO New Member

It crancks but rmp stall at zero.

12. rubjonny

ok, I would look at distributor and wiring to it :)

13. IgorCRO New Member

Ok . Will take a look .

14. IgorCRO New Member

And one more question what if i back cables like it was before. Because I must move car to garage it so difficult to work on street [:D]

15. rubjonny

if its the hall sensor in the distributor it wouldn't help you, you can always give it a try though

16. IgorCRO New Member

So I try once again with no luck. Disconnect coolant sensor plug and car is running again. When the coolant sensor is plugged in it show 30C on Vcds and refuse to start. When is disconect it show -40C and no problem with start.

17. rubjonny

was the coolant temperature actually 30 degrees? if not the sensor is incorrect or faulty,you should have part number 357919501A or 6U0919501B

18. IgorCRO New Member

it was car was parked one day . outside temp was about 35+ so the coolant was 30. Sensor is new i think FAE is brand. One more thing do you have some diagram of vacuums pipes on inlet manifold?

19. rubjonny

20. IgorCRO New Member

sorry can you tell me where is 5th injector is located?