never had a sat nav, help needed

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by neil kaye, Apr 29, 2010.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

cant comment on that , but what id suggest is look around for what free updates to the maps are available ...are they avail free online or only official sites

we got a garmin for 100 , works good but now the maps are 18 month old you need to pay em near 100 to update it and nothing is avail for free

i "think" some of the tom toms you can poach updates online

id stick to a known brand ..garmin /tomtom

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I "think" some Garmins you can "poach updates" too ;)

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

ah well ive struggled to find em lol

that one posted at 39 is cheap enough to sling after a couple of years...could make sure it has the latest map on it though

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I have a Navman S30 in the van, dead easy to use. We haven't got lost yet in 72736 miles. Cheap as well!!

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

well my mate has a garmin and has had no end of trouble with it,so its put me off
    P.B your idea is similar to mine,39 quid,if it lasts a few years ill be happy
    do you actually need the updated though,what will it show in two years time that it wont show now,a few extra roads,not too fussed as i can ask as i get there,and i only do a few K a year anyhow,thats why i said im not bothered about having the latest and best thing going
    so given that,is the one in the link ok,is the spec reasonable,i really know naff all about them

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

depends where you go hey? some roads will have been the same for years , its fine until theres some new stretch or new housing estate missed off

im just saying if you can blag a free map off the net somewhere , then its nice to have

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thats fine like i say not bothered about new estates and roads,ive relied on maps and asking directions for many years now
    the one in your link Ian is used,ill never buy something i know nothing about that isnt new,as new ones have a 12 month warranty (ill have a look and see how much they are new)
    a mate had a binatone one for a while and he was happy with it,i know there a budget name,but 39 quid is ok with me,can spend that on the pi55 on a weekend

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

11. only1cliff New Member

Im using a Tomtom, wasnt to pricey either, not loaded any updates on ith either. Im a lorry driver so i do use it every now and again, its spot on and never let me down. Tomtom get my vote

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

have you got a link to the product your using please,what price did you pay

13. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

14. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Most smartphones have satnav built in. I have reasonable success with nokia, though I'm not a full-time user. You're limited to the size of the screen on the phone, which is often smaller than you're typical satnav-in-a-box, but late generation touch-screen phones are approaching a decent size.

Deffo worth considering as it keeps the dashboard clutter down, is often cheaper and most come with free updates or work 'on-line' It may hit your phone-bill if you don't have sufficient data on your tarriff though.

15. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I've had a tomtom, it stopped charging after about 10 months so I sent it back, they repaired it, then it stopped charging again outside the warranty [:x]

So I bought a garmin for half the price and it's just as good.

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

I always find the more basic/simple the better. Mates expensive/super duper featured navman/garmin has more issues then my other mates with the plain basic versions that does what it says on the tin.

17. gtiballs Forum Member

Get a tom tom,i will send you a free map upgrade,free voices and speed camera upgrades:thumbup:

i got mine off ebuyer.com(tom tom xl classic)120:thumbup:

18. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thanks for offer mate but decided not to get one just yet,just bought an engine thats about to drain the piggy bank

19. Funky Diver Forum Member

Never had an issue with my Garmin Nuvi... t'was cheap as chips 18 months ago (60 from Tesco)... and unlike the TomTom I had before it doesn't take me down dead end streets!!

20. gtiballs Forum Member

[​IMG]
    :lol: