New 16v ABF to be fitted soon any advice

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GRA, Jan 21, 2004.

1. GRA

GRA Forum Member

Up until 2 days ago I had an AGG 2ltr block, ported and polished head, gs2h Kent cam and alloy pulley in my mk2.

This weekend I will be collecting a 2ltr ABF block with ABF 16v head standard cam and MK3 ECU and engine bay wiring loom, which I have been told, will plug straight into my 90+ harnesses. Also getting the entire pipe work and 16v 020-gear box, basically the complete engine.

If any of you was in my position what would they do to the engine before fitting, I havent got a massive budget, but I do have a late model mk2 16v head and inlet pipe work.

One final thing my 8v had power steering and this engine is coming with a power steering pump fitted is it going to be as simple as a change of pipe work over.

Any advice would be great
    [:D]

2. 2golfs Forum Member

Fit the Mk2 16v head to the ABF block. The KR head has larger inlet and smaller exhaust ports than the ABF head (so I have read), so should be better. But don't take my word for it. If it's easier, the just fit the whole ABF as it is.

3. NormanCoal Forum Member

OK, that post above refers to a 9A head, ignore it

The ABF will fit in fine, but if your car is an 8V originally (and I think it is from what I have read) then you will either have to use the MK3 injection system OR convert the car to run K Jet. This means that that you will need the additional fuel pump as the K Jet requires a higher pressure than the digifant 8V - the ABF 16V is also a digifant run engine as standard.

With regards to the loom, it will plug straight into the 90 spec fusebox, dead easy. The only thing to watch is that the engine loom is also the headlamp loom and holds a lot of wires that you wont need. If you have the expertise these need stripping out.

Another point to mention is that the pre facelift MK3 16V's (1995/6) have a different inlet manifold that wont fit in a MK2 conversion. You need the late inlet manifold.
    Also on the later MK3 16V's they introduced a inbuilt to the key immobilisor. If dont have the key (and the hardware from around the barrel that picks up the signal) then the ECU wont work.
    There are lots of other little things as well, if you go ahead with all this then let me know if you have any questions

I'm sure you're aware of this last comment, but I shall write it anyway, the standard MK3 16V gearbox is a cable operated system (as opposed to rod change MK2) and so uses a hydraulic clutch. To utilise this, you will need to change your pedal box to one out of a passat or corrado and install along with the necessary master and slave cylinders

So, you still want to go ahead?
    Its a damn good conversion, I have exactly what is described above in my (what was originally) 8V MK2 Golf [:D]

4. prof Forum Addict

mk2 head is not worth swapping over

5. daviddd Forum Member

...because there's no advantage over the mk 3 head?

6. prof Forum Addict

yeah

7. GRA

GRA Forum Member

Cheers for the help so far chaps.

Yeah Chrisp I still want to go through with the engine transplant, I have done a mk3 8v 2ltr conversion, I 16v is only a littler different. ;)

I have the complete injector set-up of the 16v mk3 along with the ECU.

I was planning on using the mk2 16v 020 box with the engine, as I thought the mk3 gear box seemed like a lot of hassle, also I keep reading that the mk2 gear box and fly is a better set-up then the mk3 as it is lighter.

Chris the manifold problem that you mention, I am not sure what you mean, are you referring to using a mk2 head or using the complete mk3 set-up will cause problems please excuse my stupidity [:$] as I am a 16v virgin. [:$]

Thanks all.
    [:D]

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

I use a rod box in mine, just swap the box along with clutch and fly
    If you have the MK3 16V box, clutch and fly and you arent too far away from me then I'll have them off you as I need those bits for another project of mine [:D]

The inlet manifolds that I referred to up above are from a MK3 only. Just to say once again, the pre 95/6 manifolds wont fit, they hit the brake master cylinder. The later ones have more of a curve on the throttle body so it clears. The reason for this is that the engine was used from this point on in the Seat Ibiza and the front of that is identical to a MK2 Golf. So they made a new manifold so it would clear and used this on the MK3 Golf also.

Any more Q's give me a shout. If you arent too far away I can show you my conversion if you need/want to see it