New arrival - 1987 Monza Blue Golf MK2 16V = D404 STT - History Help

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Mullerred, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Mullerred New Member

Howdy all,

I've recently purchased an ex track car from a chap in Liverpool. The car had originally been fitted with a full welded in roll cage inside the car. The previous owner chopped it apart & took out the roll cage and has left the stumps welded to the inside of the car.

On taking receipt of the car last Saturday, I found a number of stickers inside the car for Castle Combe Circuit Summer Action Days dating from 2008, 2010 upto 2016.

Does anyone know who the owner of this car was? Or know of any history of it races?

The car currently has no engine or exhaust, I was advised that the car was originally running an ABF 16V engine, I can see a different single coil unit attatched to inner bulkhead - that's doesn't look original. I have also found the original wiring section from the K-Jet wiring loom inside the engine bay that look similar to the wires on my MK1 8V Campaign with the CE1 white and yellow plugs for the inside of the engine bay.

The fuel pump has been removed from the underneath of the car and the supply and return fuel lines are both disconected from the rear of the car to the fuel tank. I believe 16V have a pump inside the tank and the accumulator and filter sit underneath the car in a casing which is missing.

As a new project I'm not if I want to invest in returning everything back to OE spec or to have some fun and try to simplify the electrics by fitting a KR 1.8 16V fitted with twin 40 carbs. Instead of reverting the car back to original factory spec K-Jet.

Does anyone know what would have been altered to a CE1 loom to run an ABF engine and how I can revert it back it the KR set up? I can see a rectangular chunk of the inside bonnet has been chopped out, I guess for the increased height of the ABF engine.

Would it be easier to refit and revert back to an ABF engine?

Thanks

Muller

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what you need to do is decide on a direction you want to go in, then we can help from there :)

assuming it was running the abf management then the engine loom would have been heavily modified, take some pics of what you have and we can advise there either way.

if you want to go back to kjet the main thing is sourcing all the required hardware, the main pump being the main one as housings these days will mostly be past their best and even poor condition units go for lots of money.you can make up a custom setup though easily enough with a mk1 kjet pump and external swirl pot fitted before it alongside all the usual kjet fuel components. if the main fuel lines are complete and you have the metering head lines thats a big help

the easier option these days is go for more modern injection system and use a mk3 golf fuel tank setup as widely available and spares are cheap