Newman cams abf

Discussion in '16-valve' started by ivanro_jo, May 17, 2020.

1. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Hi!
    I am going to buy a set of cams for my abf, and im thinking on newman ones.

reading on forum i have found some very old post talking about problems with newman and his bad quality, those posts were quite old, i wonder if this issues are solved now and if it worth to buy them or better look for an other brand.

ON the other hand i wonder which one will be better for my road/track car.

now i am running abf cams, which are :
    oem vw abf cams int 256/10,75 exh 254/10,75 overlap 36.66
    newman options:
    ph2 road/ rallycam int 272/10,66 exh 272/10,66 overlap 52
    ph2 road/ rallycam int 288/11,22 exh 288/11,22 overlap 72

I think best option for road use and some track will be ph2 cams, but it has less lift than abf cams which make me wonder if worth to change it having abf ones.

ON the other hand with ph3 i am afraid of loosing idle or having jerks on low rpm...

I am running stock cr.

BR

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Zero issues with quality or reliability these days. If there was I wouldn't use so many.

There was an issue with keyway location being cut incorrectly by an outside source on some mk2 championship cams but even that was fixable by those that know how to time cams in.

I'd definitely not even attempt to use the 288 profiles in a road use car on std injection and/or a plenum. The 272 is also on the edge of too much with O.E injection.

ABF cams are very good for road use, it's hard to better them by much but I maybe able to help...you have a pm.

3. ivanro_jo Forum Member

i am running standalone ecu, so it will not be a problem.