Nige`s Golf MK2 2.0 16V Turbo track car with Aero. www.pinderwagen.com

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Nige, May 3, 2007.

1. HidRo Forum Member

Wow!
    I read the entire thread. Great job! You have some really nice skills to create stuff for the car!
    Perfect!!

2. Paulc Forum Member

keep posting please! your thread is awesome reading and packed full of usefull tips!:clap:

thanks and good work!
    PAUL

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Today was a finishing off day. The car is now ready for Cadwell :thumb: If it was tomorrow, I could go. I have the rolling road session booked on Thursday, but apart from that, there is nothing else to do

Started by removing old caliper. I managed to buy a brand new, unused one for 20, bargain
    [​IMG]

When I was removing the old caliper, one of the short lengths of brake pipe, which is fastened to the rear beam was seized, the fitting that goes into the braided hose was solid. A new length of pipe soon sorted that. Flared the end in situ.
    [​IMG]

The finished end.
    [​IMG]

I then covered the outside of the pipe with a weather resistant grease, also lubricated the threads, the nut WILL come off easier next time....
    [​IMG]

The handbrake operating mechanism is still exposed, so to stop future issues, I made sure that all the areas that are exposed to the weather were covered in grease
    [​IMG]

The bit of metal that holds the braided hose in place was loose, a cable tie fixed that
    [​IMG]

New caliper fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that I have no more work to carry out on the braking system, I used the opportunity to flush the entire system and replace the fluid with new 5.1
    [​IMG]

My heels just sit on the ridge on the floor, and occasionally slip off, the paint is worn away so you can see where
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I acquired some aluminium chequer plate from a mate.
    [​IMG]

Cut a paper template and modified until it fitted nicely
    [​IMG]

transfered outline onto plate
    [​IMG]

Using angle grinder and 1mm cutting disc, cut out section of plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seeing as I dont have a sheet metal bender, I had to improvise to bend the plate. Clamped the plate between 2 pieces of wood
    [​IMG]

The pushed down to bend
    [​IMG]

woohoo
    [​IMG]

put the plate into position and drilled the mounting holes, removed the plate and painted the holes to stop rust.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Nige

Applied some silicone to the high points to ensure there is no annoying vibration when the plates are fitted
    [​IMG]

Bolted the plate into position
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took the opportunity to make a passenger foot brace, from this
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deciding I was on a roll, I made a mount for the camcorder, this is reversible and can also be hung from the roll cage above the interior mirror, the camcorder would be upside down, but I can easily fix that on my PC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick switch and I can get a rear facing view
    [​IMG]

I know the checker plate has weight, but I`d rather have a few more kg`s than have my foot slipping as it was doing before. Doing the passenger footwell was a nice to have, but hey, I`m not to a couple of kilos ;)

5. Nige

6. Nige

Right, made it back in one piece...

Interesting trip :blink: .

When I read it now, it sounds obvious, but anyway, set off this morning, 1 hour down the M1 and it started misfiring horribly, wouldnt go over 65MPH ! Pulled into the services and checked the obvious, no vacuum leaks, distributor clean inside, rang steph for any other suggestions, but decided to just drive there and sort it when I arrived.

Arrived 1 1/2 hour later after thinking the worst and wondering if I was taking the Mazda to Cadwell...
    This is full throttle 2nd gear WITH MISFIRE. :(
    [​IMG]

Parked on Rollers, plenty ground clearance after my raising of the coilovers last night :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Removed plug leads one at a time and it did seem to have less effect when he removed No4. Removed all the plugs and No4 was `damp`. I immediately suggested what I thought had happened...

Yesterday...
    I fitted a new oil filler cap as the oil one was leaking slightly.
    [​IMG]

Afterwards I degreased the engine and swilled it down (can you see where this is going?....)

To check all was OK, I started the engine, it ran fine, I then double checked by removing No 1 & 2 plug leads to check there was no moisture, there wasnt...
    I think that there was a bit in No4 and it worked its way down, past the HT lead onto the plug and caused the misfire. A dry out and it ran perfectly. PHEW !!

First run on the RR
    [​IMG]

168 BHP & 143 Torques.

He then did the WUR `mod`
    [​IMG]

adjusted the timing and fuel pressure and Ran it on the RR again
    [​IMG]

After the 2nd run, new peak power of 173HP and 144 torques.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That doesnt tell the whole story though, the peaks on the graphs are smoothed and it revs much cleaner now :thumb:

He said the plugs were a little light at first, so I`m happy the fuelling has been richened up to stop it running lean at the top end :thumb: .

Initially, when I just saw the 5hp gain, I was a little dissapointed, but after driving it, I am pleased and it was definately worthwhile and has given a noticeable improvement [:D]

7. Nige

Superb day at Cadwell. It was wet almost all day, with just a cars width dry line appearing at the end of the day.

The car was faultless, didnt miss a beat all day, even after a 45 minute lapping spell, no brake fade or hiccup at all. I was thrilled.

The gearbox is now due to be replaced with an 02a cable change, flywheel currently with Hotgolf to go on a diet... Pics and install details to follow...

Here is a 4-lap video of me on track.
    [​IMG]My Golf on Cadwell Park

My wife who was taking pics took some good photos of the Golf in action

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. paulyb Forum Member

Looking good Nige:thumbup: And holding off the mighty GVK:lol:

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good as always, Nige. Nice to see VWs passing Lotus'/Lotus's/Loti? Them small, fast jobbies.

10. ihaveajetta Forum Member

car is looking great!

11. HidRo Forum Member

This picture, is the bees-knees!! [:D]

[​IMG]

12. DarrenH Forum Member

this thread is incredible, the attention to detail is amazing. not in the clinical sense, but ingenuity, fixing stuff, fabricating, making your own solutions. its just my style, i love it.

kudos to you.

how did you find the 888 in the [top gear] mildy moist [/top gear] conditions ?

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just read the whole thread, most excellent.

ingenuity at it's best.

14. Nige

Wow, it seems ages since I updated this thread.

Did some jobs I`ve been putting off today, I was in the right mood to do them :thumbup:

When I modified my roll cage for the first Golf, I had to make it clear the sunroof, this meant that when I put it in the new Golf, the hoop over the windscreen was pulled too far backwards away from the A pillar.

I removed the bar that connects both hoops together and cut out the door bars. This the allowed my to move the hoop forwards towards the A pillar

Before & After
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously, it wasnt as easy as that, the bar over the door was now too short...
    [​IMG]

I decided to just weld in a new bar, so first off, the old bolts-in plates needed removing. Angle grinder soon took care of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put bar in place temporarily, then used the piece of paper method to mark a profile. That makes it SOOO much easier :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Marked profile onto paper
    [​IMG]

transferred profile to tube
    [​IMG]

Cut tube to profile and offered it into place to check fitting.
    [​IMG]

Repeated at other end and welded into place
    [​IMG]

Needs spraying, but with Cage-padding temporarily in place it looks fine :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

The boor bars were also welded in, they needed slight tweaking as the angle of the front hoop had changed, but it only took minutes to adjust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see on the passenger side that the bar needed moving about an inch higher where it joined the front hoop.
    [​IMG]

15. Nige

Made a stupid error whilst cutting out the door bar, caught the harness with the grinder [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to cut / resolder each damaged wire
    [​IMG]

Soldering iron and insulation tape and all was well. (I`ll be covering it with black tape, but I ran out)
    [​IMG]

Wanted to make sure the 6-point harness was properly secured to the floor. Drilled two holes.
    [​IMG]

Made spreader plate for the top, sprayed holes and plate and fitted eyelets
    [​IMG]

Used the plates I`d bought at Autosport to secure the eyebolts under the car :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

When I bought the first Golf, the harnesses were bolted to the floor, which is the last thing I wanted in the case of an accident, they just crush the seat and your spine when secured that way.
    [​IMG]

I was short of time so I secured a bar at the back of the cage, securely welded that in the event of a crash wouldnt come loose.
    This was a much better solution than the floor mounting and all I had time for.
    [​IMG]

Today I had more time, so I cut out the old harness bar, I wish I`d had Lizard there to `bash it off with a couple of swings of a proper long mallet` because after grinding through the weld without touching the cage, it took me many many swings with lump hammer to dislodge it [:s]

Profiled harness bar and welded into place (forgot the `during` photos [:$] )
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I`ll do the passenger side bars :thumbup:

I`m very pleased with todays progress, its been ages since I did anything and it was good to get cracking again [​IMG]

16. Jonny777 Forum Member

Fantastic stuff Nige! [:D]

Next time theres a HuddersfieldVAG meet going on, should i let you know if you want to bring this down?

17. Nige

Sure, i`ll call down if you think anyone would like a look, but the car goes to Germany on 22nd March and wont be back until Autumn....

18. Jonny777 Forum Member

They'll be another meet before then im sure. If not two.
    Last time we did a photoshoot meet/cruise up on the tops. Above Holmfirth. Some of the best roads ive ever seen up there. [8D]

But yeah, im sure everyone would love to see it. Me espeically! Hehe.

19. Nige

Finally decided to tackle the gearbox change today :o I`ve been putting it off because it is unlike anything else i`ve done, every other job has been a remove / replace, but this was a gearbox in a plastic box and bolts :huh:

First job was to split the lower balljoint so I could remove the driveshafts.
    [​IMG]

Next job was to remove the driveshaft splied bolts. If you`ve never dont this, you wont appreciate what a [xxx] they are
    [​IMG]

Driveshaft removed, repeated for offside.
    [​IMG]

Unbolted gearbox and removed it (took longer that it sounds :) )
    [​IMG]

New Gearbox, Lever linkage, clutch and lightened flywheel
    [​IMG]

Went to main dealer and spent 13 on 6 new bolts :blink: They are rather important as they stop the flywheel coming off the crank and cutting the passenger to pieces ;)
    [​IMG]

When fitting the new flywheel, the crank was spinning, to stop it I put a socket and bar onto the other end and wedged that into place.
    [​IMG]

Torqued up the bolts
    [​IMG]

Put some threadlock on the clutch cover bolts
    [​IMG]

My clutch alignment tool :lol: , well this and my eyes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aligned :thumbup: . It was actually hard to get a photo that doesnt look offset, but it is central.
    [​IMG]

20. Nige

Removed the exhaust AGAIN [:x] , so I could remove the rob change selector box. I hate that exhaust. [:x]
    [​IMG]

Found SEVERAL cracks on the system, usually where it had been welded before. [:x] Not suprised the bloody thing is noisy...
    [​IMG]

Welded up all the cracks. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

The transmission tunnel has a `lip` that needed removing
    [​IMG]

Mr Angle grinder to the rescue :)
    [​IMG]

Cut out opening to take new shifter
    [​IMG]

The new shifter is too wide, so angle grinder again to `narrow` it...
    [​IMG]

Fabricated and welded an L bracket to the rear of the shifter to secure the 2 rear bolts. Then sprayed it all with primer.
    [​IMG]

After 2 coats of topcoat it was mounted into place :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I`ll be drilling to 2 holes in the bulkhead and routing the cables, then I`m refitting the gearbox. :)