Noisy Tappet - Mk2 1.6 Driver

Discussion in '8-valve' started by topnotch, Jun 18, 2018.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

Been meaning to ask about this for ages and given i'll be servicing the car soon, thought i' better get some advice!

Our Mk2 Golf 1.6 Driver has what sounds like a noisy tappet noise that is there 60/70% of the time when hot or cold. If you rev the engine up high and let it drop back down, the tapping goes away sometimes, but then will return within a couple of mins or so of driving.

I'm not even sure if they are hydraulic or manually adjusted tappets - is there anything i can do to help it while i'm servicing it?

Cheers, Mike

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how well has it been looked after? they may need an oil flush. use proper off the shelf stuff or another tip from here is 1l of ATF in the oil does same job, run the engine at idle up to telp[ then drop and change. use genuine or mann make oil filter and 10w40 semi-synth oil. I use quantum synta or fuchs titan, but anythign semi-decent should be ok these engines dont need anythign special.

theres also a valve in the mann/genuine ones which keeps the oil in the head when engine is switched off and helps stops them tapping on a cold start.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

neglected ones might need the sump off and clean the oil strainer , if its a keeper its worth doing to know its getting its full supply of oil

new tappets arent crazy money ...again if its a keeper replace them , or they can be taken apart to clean them

4. topnotch Forum Member

Its not been serviced for about 2 years , so well overdue! The engine has only done about 100K so quite low mileage for age, but its going to get the full works for a decent service.
    Ordered all the bits last night - i didn't know there were so many variations on rotor arms and dizzy caps out there for the mk2 golf!

Thanks, mike