Not much electric working!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Richard Gilberd, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

Hi,
    so i've finally got my mk2 running and she starts and idles nicely (even bought her up to temp after 6 years not running!) but now have a few more electrical issues which i'm not sure are all related to one another,
    so when i turn the key only one red light comes on on the dash which if i remember right is the battery light, no oil e.t.c and upon starting the rev counter isn't working and i have no control on the maf although the clock is working, left indicator works, right not and no emergency flashers, no headlights(not even on flash), no heater blower and no handbrake warning light! so really not much working!!
    the problem is the previous owner was in there and has played, to me it points to bad earths? if anyone has any ideas on where to start it would be a great help,
    many thanks,
    Rich.

2. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

O.K an update for anyone who reads this!! today whilst pulling the dash i found the light switch not plugged in so i did that and that sorted that out, also found the blower motor not plugged in so did that and that sorted that! so i'm still left with no rev counter no display lights and no oil or water lights and no mfa options, I geusss that the earth to the actual display is o.k as i get some things working the problem must lie in an earth in the sensor system somewhere! or that the cpu is the wrong one for the car as it's a bosch one and i took out a ken, don't know how much difference it could make as it's also digifant2 but just thinking out loud, anyone any ideas?
    (p.s all fuses changed out also)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello Richard, good progress then ;)

With the cluster, what fusebox is it? (where is hazard switch)

4. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

Hi John, it's ce2 hazard switch on the steering column ( oh and on pulling out the dash found the hazards work just a sticky switch!). yes good progress just starting to see the mountain before me!!

5. rubjonny

ok so clock ignition live comes from fuse 16 on the fusebox, double check it and also try wiggling the fuse in the socket.

6. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

thanks will give it a go, is there anywhere that has the pinout positions for the clocks, maybe i could test it at that end too.

7. rubjonny

8. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

wow!!! thanks should be able to trace something from this info:o:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: