O2J gear linkage

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dodgy, Oct 6, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Just got hold of an o2j to fit the mk2 but not pickedupyet, thing I'm unsure of is the linkage.
    I've got a 6 speed setup in the garage from a leon cupra, and had a (very) quick look online at TT linkage, appears to be 2 types of end connectors on tower, pop on or odd circlip, the leon one is circlip.
    Are the ends interchangeable, or is it type specific, and are 6 and 5 speed the same?
    What are suggestions for ones to use, mk4 golf, leon, or TT etc?
    Thanks Dave

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok so, there are 3 main versions of the 02J shifter. you have early, which is basically the same as the 02a. then theres late-early and late-late 02j, most of the parts are all the same the only difference is the cable end type and the part of the linkage they attach to. late-early have ball ends, late-late are clip. since the rest is the same can convert these either way by swapping the end and linkage part, the cables and base tower accept both styles of cable end setup.

Depending on age and donor there are a couple other minor differences but they dont affect assembly. some late ones have grooves on the base of the tower and a matching circlip in the lower bearing, but this type will fit a plain lower bearing and work same as early type tower. Believe the clip is just there to give a more positive location on the R, 1/2, 3/4 and 5 gates thats all.

6 speed are 02M, the tower is completely different in design but it still uses the same cable ends as later 02j. the cable bracket on box is different, the cables are same design but slightly shorter. But the gearstick assembly is the same, so can be converted to 5 speed if you change cables.

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks Jon, I'll try and get the matching 5 speed set up, thought the chance of the o2m kit fitting was slim, but worth asking, cheers

4. rubjonny

keep hold of the 02m cables, might find they fit better than the 02j ones with being a little shorter. see how you go

5. dodgy

The box just arrived, looks like they left the bracket and ends on, just unscrew them.
    So is it possible to use any golf TT or leon set up, or even my original o2m set if I swap ends?
    Got a g60 flywheel coming and need to order vr6 clutch kit, any specific model on that? 2.8 mk3 presume

Attached Files:

6. rubjonny

alrighty so you have late-late clippy ends, get it all in and offer up your 02m gearstick and cables, see if it works. if the cables are too short then change them for 5 speed versions they'll fit your gearstick since theyre the same, or complete shifter+cables if you cant get cables on their own.

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Got home and measured the cups, 100mm between outer lip, and m8 bolts. Went to try the driveshafts I picked up at the weekend, guy told me were gti, but they dont line up and appear to be 90mm inner cv joints, haven't dug the mk3 gti shafts out to try as buried in shed, but can I just swap inner cv to 100mm, or do I need complete shafts and if so are there different ones for a mk2, seen ones listed for PB and kr engine codes so presume that's ones I need?

8. rubjonny

need complete shafts as the 90 and 100mm are different lengths plus the 100mm cv is a bit thicker so doesnt quite fit the 90mm shaft. mk2 gti 8v & 16v, plus late 1.8 8v carb, corrado 4 cylinder, caddy van, polo saloon and estate, seat ibiza, cordoba and toledo all work if 100mm inner.

9. dodgy

Thanks once again RJ, I'll order a new set, no idea what this guy sold me then, maybe earlier 8v? should have took a tape measure!