OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

works alright here, both when opening direct in google docs or when downloading and opening locally? do you have the latest version of acrobat reader installed?

2. raoskidoo New Member

Hi rubjonny ,

My swap is almost done. Engine is running , but my alt is not charging. I have nothing wired. I heard that I must tap a wire from the blue wire on the cluster to the alt. Also I need to wire a basic clutch switch to enable or disable my launch control , how could I do it with a simple switch ? Thanks

3. rubjonny

yes there should be a blue wire in your harness somewhere, if its mk1/2 it'll be in the lighting loom near the battery live. if its a mk3 its in the engine loom and sits near the starter motor plug. then you need to hook this up to the alternator blue wire, either D+ or L depending on the age of the alternator you have on there. the wires have a black over-sheath but if you look closely right at the ends just before they go in the plug you can see the wire colour.

you'll either need to cut the mk4 plug off and splice the right end on to match your car plug, or cut the car plug off and splice on the right end to suit the mk4 alternator cable

4. raoskidoo New Member

Fine so blue wire to D+ on my alt and what about my clutch switch wiring ? I havent found any info on that :(

5. rubjonny

ah sorry missed that bit! what car is it going into, and what is the ecu code?

6. raoskidoo New Member

Mk1 Cabriolet with a CE1 fusebox. The donor is a mk4 1.8t AWP I don't have the ECU code right now. Thanks

7. rubjonny

right so AWP is DBW with the clutch switch on pin 39, its a white/red wire. though in mt AWP diagram it shows it as not being used?

anyway run a wire from that to your clutch switch, and grab an ignition live from the fusebox somewhere for the other pin. D/2 or D/7 would do, or G spade 1,2,3 or 5 :thumbup:

the mk4 switch is pretty simple to mount needs a round hole with 2 ears on it, you might have a hole already as later mk1 had the option of cruise control, will just need some ears filed into it. either that or just a dash switch if you prefer

8. raoskidoo New Member

Excellent ! I wasnt sure if the red/white wire from the white plug was either ground switched or ignition switched. Thanks a lot

9. Mk1caddy1.8t New Member

Got a Ibiza cupra 1.8t I'm putting in a Mk1 caddy but it doesn't have the connectors like the golf loom, all wiring goes straight to the fusebox?? Anyone got any diagrams?

10. rubjonny

erreesse likes this.
  11. stormshadow335 New Member

Rubjonny, fantastic write up. I'm swapping an MK4 Jetta 12V VR6 into a none DBW 99.5 Audi A4 1.8T AEB body. Would you happen to have any info on this swap? Thanks!

12. rubjonny

I dont I'm afraid, the A4/passat type looms are very different so non of my thread applies. I also know they are a right pain in the rear to work with, the engine bay wires are sealed inside a great big lump of foam!

ideally you want to try and find an A4 loom that will work on the VR6 engien it will save you many hours of harsh language and sore fingers :lol:

13. stormshadow335 New Member

Thanks for the advice Rubjonny.

14. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

John, hopefully an easy answer on this but something ive struggled to find online.

for extending items such as the washer loom, what guage wire should we be buying?

1.5mm 21Amp 12v Automotive Cable would seem a reasonable option as thats matching the diameter of the washer bottle pump wire, the voltage is right and on the CE2 fusebox it shows fuse 5 as a 15A fuse for the washer/wiper.

thoughts?

thanks

Craig

15. rubjonny

it depends what wires you're going to be extending, but bigger is better than smaller if you know what I mean :lol:

the washer pump wires are 1mm2, so 1.5mm2 will be fine to replace it with. if you go with thinwall the total diameter will probably end up nearly the same as the old mk2 thickwall insulation. If you check my sig look for the g2pbfull.pdf that has all the wiring in there showing the insulation diameter mm2 for reference

erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

does the guide work with the V6 engines? potentially into a AUE V6 into a CE1 Mk2?

17. rubjonny

edit: yes I tried to make my guide as generic as I could, so you should be sorted :)

18. _Monkey Forum Member

Truly excellent guide, thank you! :clap:

I'll be using this on my R32 conversion over the next few weeks.

19. rubjonny

welcome :)
    main tricky bit with the r32 is you need a different type of adaptor for mk1/2 clocks, this one can convert the pulse and change the signal from 6 -> 4 piston as well:
    http://ashlocktech.com/Home.php

VR6 mk3/corrado clocks will work fine with the r32 ecu signal though if you have/want a dash swap :thumbup:

erreesse and _Monkey like this.
  20. _Monkey Forum Member