OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah you're doing a mk5 type r32 swap then? this guide isnt so much use to you then as the later looms are pretty different layout. the mk5 r32 ecu is very similar pinout wise mind, and soem of the tricks here do still apply to the later looms. I have diagrams in my signature for both mk4 and mk5 types so you can use those to help you out a bit.

heres a copy n paste of a mk5 t14a plug I have to hand, can see right away its quite different!
    T14a - R32
    1 - blk - oil pressure switch
    2 - yel/red - crankcase breather heater (ignition live)
    3 - pur/red - carbon canister
    5 - red/grn - coilpack power (ecu relay live)
    6 - blu/red - N205/308/156/80 valve (ecu relay power)
    8 - red/blk - fuel injector power (ignition live)
    9 - brn - coilpack earth
    10 - red/grn - coilpack power (ecu relay live)
    11 - pur/red - aux. coolant pump

the other thing is there are no plugs joining the big ecu plug half to the interior loom, its all hard spliced. so its a case of strip the loom, follow all the wires from the mk5 ecu to the inside and pull/cut them out where required. the upside is all the wires are mega long so you wont have to extend as many of them at least :lol:

erreesse likes this.
  2. rubjonny

3. _Monkey Forum Member

Wow! Great link, I'll get one of those in a bit.

The engine I have is from an 03 TT, I'm assuming it'll be the same as the BUB 05 on?

4. rubjonny

whats the engine code just to double check? but if I mentioned can-bus adaptor before we probably decided it was a MK5 type, so yeah basically near as damnit a MK5 BUB wiring wise :)

5. _Monkey Forum Member

It's a BUB.

As you mentioned, I cut plenty of cable off the cabin plug on the ECU.
    Hopefully I'll be able to cross reference the wiring diagram with your guide on page one to make something work:thumbup:

6. rubjonny

alrighty so then you need can-bus modules for tacho out and vss in, the link i mention has both separate its a shame they didnt just build it all into one unit for easy swaps but hey ho.

from memory the MK5 r32 coolant flange has a spare sensor hole in it, or at least has an extra sensor you dont need so you can put a mk2 2 pin black one in there leaving the mk5 ecu 2 pin sensor alone. its possible the mk5 ecu sensor is the same rating as the mk2/3/4 ecu sensors, but I haven't checked this. if it was then you could go for the 4 pin mk3 8v sensor trick, but tbh if theres a spare hole i would just bung a mk2 dash sensor in there for an easy life.

with both diagrams and my guide you should be able to get thru it easy enough, but if you have any questions feel free to ask :thumbup:

erreesse likes this.
  7. _Monkey Forum Member

Thanks, much appreciated :thumbup:

If all goes well, I'll put my findings together and you can add it to your collection.

cupracraig likes this.
  8. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for this great thread. I am trying to figure out the wiring for a BUB 3.2 from a TT build date 10/08 into my harlequin golf. I need to study up on the documents here. It seems like all the info needed for the swap is found in this thread? I'm sure I will have questions at a later date, so thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Kevin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my other car. Just the facotry vr6
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rubjonny

The BUB engine code is MK5 era, so its very different to the MK4 and so this guide isnt a great deal of use on the wiring side but a few bits n pieces will help you in my notes section.

rev counter and vss are both can-bus on these, so to get the signals in and out you need something like this:
    http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/4106/can-bus-rpm-interface.html

or these:
    https://www.fastforward.ca/signalprocessors/

ecu pinout on the BUB engien is very similar to the earlier MK4 R32 though, so that may help you when figuring out the wiring side. I've both MK4 and MK5 r32 diagrams in my signature. Main issue with MK5 is the main ECU section is completly integrated into the main car wiring, so you have a lot of unpicking to do. but its also a good thing becasue it means you'll have lots of length to work with, unlike mk4 looms which need extending to suit mk3 engien bay routing. swings and roundabouts as they say :lol:

erreesse likes this.
  10. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Thanks for sharing your information. That's quite the google drive. Luckily my friend shared his audi account with me so I can get the wiring diagram. I guess I need to understand what signals are needed and start sifting through stuff.

I was told I had a bit of unpicking before lol. Guess I better get started. I have the entire chassis harness as well. I was told the dbw wires and such are needed from it.

When you say "ecu pinout on the BUB engine is very similar to the earlier MK4 R32 though, so that may help you when figuring out the wiring side." That means I can most likely connect the BUB harness to ce2 connectors in a similar fashion with a few exceptions?

11. rubjonny

its a case of start with the ecu plug and chase all the wires back to source, pulling the plugs out on the other end without cutting where possible i.e. throttle, clutch and brake pedal and snipping wires off with as much length as possible for the other feeds such as power and earth etc.

what I mean is the pins on the ecu plug itself are mostly the same as found on the mk4, so if unsure of what function a wire is on the mk5 diagram you can try looking it up on the mk4 diagram, then compare to my list to try and work it out that way if that makes sense?

a few pins arent there at all on the mk5 side, main ones you care about are rev counter and vss input which as I say are done via can-bus so no wires for them in the loom. also no functionality in the ecu either for these pins if you try to be crafty and add the wires in on the off chance like I did on the first MK5 R32 loom I converted :lol:

12. _Monkey Forum Member

FYI Jonny, your guide works pretty well for a BUB engine code. Just ignore the colours and work with the pin numbers.:thumbup:

Also, fastforward are pretty useless, I've been waiting on them since February(!) to sort me out a unit that I can apparently buy straight off of their website.
    Been in touch with them, they keep saying 'a few more weeks' to build them.

Might give that co-star place a go though.

13. rubjonny

hopefully someone will step in and start making units which take vss in and tacho out for a decent price now MK5+ engien swaps are starting to get more common.

I've seen people experimenting with arduino units, theres a guy who is using one to interface later polo can-bus cluster with driving games so it cant be hard to reconfigure the unit to pull a rev counter signal out of an ecu rather than inject it, and his code already injects the vss signal to can-bus so I assuem the BUB ecu would be happy with it too...
    https://hackaday.io/project/6288-volkswagen-can-bus-gaming

also
    https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=59378.0

14. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Thanks again guys. Monkey- I took a look at your posts. Do you happen to have a thread I can read through for your BUB swap? I might have missed the thread.

This thread give me hope. Side note: it seems like facebook really killed vortex. That is the forum I am familiar with, but the response rate has slowed down a lot.

I wont have the funds for the trans and all the bits I need for the swap right away, but I figured since the engine and all the harnesses are in storage its mostly time invested and not money to figure out the wiring, start stripping it down and soldering, while I save for the rest of the parts.

Also what wrap do you suggest is the most like oem? I have tried a few cloth tapes with no success. They all dont seem as sticky as the oem vw tape.

15. rubjonny

depends what you like really, late mk2 and early mk3 use scapa rayon fabricy tape, then later mk3 switched to normal insulation tape, try 3m, scapa make for this. mk4 era have a mix of insulation tape and more fluffy type tape, on ebay its either no-name brand or coroplast make

personally I like the scapa rayon tape but thats just my preferance

16. _Monkey Forum Member

17. mk3f.t.w. New Member

18. mk3f.t.w. New Member

19. david New Member

hi my name is david .
    rubjonny ive read this forum but im really bad with wiring and stuff like that .
    i have a vw corrado 2 litre 16 valve and wanna build a 1.8 20 v without a turbo into it . my old engine is really bad and can buy this one new .
    do you also make the wiring looms for other people and what would it cost ?
    im from the Netherlands and was wondering how expensive it would be to let you make it if you would .
    and if it was very hard to make it myself ?
    what parts do i need ?
    do i need to buy me a wiring loom from a 1.8 20 v and does it have to be the pone wihout a turbo or is the turb othe same ?

really hope someone can help me with it .

greetings from the Netherlands

20. rubjonny

Hello David, If you get a MK4 based n/a 20v such as the AGN, then the wiring should be the same as described in this thread :)

I do make wiring looms still but my list is long and my free time is short, but I can try to help you through it :thumbup:

Try to get the ECU and wiring loom to go with the engine, but it probably wont be hard to adapt a 20vt loom to suit your engine so long as you get right type to match the ecu you plan to run, DBW have completely different plugs on than DBC for starters. If you go ahead with it first confirm the ECU code/part number then we can work from there :)