OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. david New Member

hi john i just checked my engine type its agn engine and i hope the pictures will work on this webiste cause i inserted two pictures from the ecu .
    the egine ive got is with the wiring loom to the ecu so i dont know if what part i should need for it . is the wiring loom one piece or do you have like more pieces in it .
    and last question if i wanna make a wiring loom myself do i need the Original one from the engine to make it fit in with my Original wiring loom . ok lol doesnt seem to work to post a picture here ill tell you whats on the ecu ok : 06a 906 018 gc from bosch hope thats enough for you to work with oh and its from a petrol seat Toledo with a non electric gas pedal

greetings david .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

OK Cool, that part number does come back as an AGN ECU so its the right one to go with your engine. Bare minimum you need both halves of the ECU loom, the big loom goes to the inside of the car with the coloured plugs and small plug one is mostly in the engine bay but with the 't14a' plug which connects to the main loom inside the engine bay.

I splice the t14a plug into my conversion looms so that the small ecu plug loom will just plug in and can be swapped later on if need be, the only modifications I do is change the coolant sensor plug for early square type so you can use a MK3 4 pin sensor which works the mk1/2/3 dash and ECU direct without having to mess about splicing resistors inline. I also run the extra oil sensor wires through spare pins on this plug, but you can bypass the T14a and run them direct if you prefer.

Since its a cable drive you dont need to worry about the pedal or wiring, so all you need from the inside of the car is the diagnostics plug, but these can be had from anything post-96 pretty much as the 16 pin port is industry standard from around this time.

Comparing the AGN to AGU wiring loom they are kinda similar, but would still need a fair bit of modification to suit so ideally try to get the right set of wiring looms for an easy life

David Pimenta likes this.
  3. david New Member

ok cool thanks fro the help with this . so all i have to do is get the whole wiring loom for a 1.8 20v engine agn .
    and do as you told me ?
    so it isnt that much of a work right .

think ill go and find a wire loom for the new engine and read a lot on here and try to make it work .

thanks very much and hopefully i wont be back on here only to tell you it works .

greetings david

David Pimenta likes this.
  4. rubjonny

Yeah for an easy life get a complete ECU loom from an AGN then follow this guide to convert it :)

5. mupk0 New Member

Can i ask something more Audi A3 related. I make a BigTurbo A3 1.8t with Holset HX35 and i swap the ECUs. The car is pre facelift 1.8t AGU and i swapped the ECU,dashboard and key from facelifted 1.8t AUM. The car runs with all the mods in the tread ( swapped cables between orange and brown t6 and etc) but i have a little problem. The rpm gauge in the facelift dash doest work and the vag com port do not work. When i connect a obd directly to ecu i read it without problem...when i pkug the cable in original port of the car...it dont read ecu. What should i do to run tge rpm signal between pre and post facelift dash? Also i think to disable the immo and to try to run the car with prefacelift dash...the facelift one isnt good looking in this setup i think

6. rubjonny

OK for the rev counter the problem might be that the cluster will only accept the signal via can-bus, and the pre-facelift clock loom doesn't have any can-bus wiring in it. If I'm right you'll need to run a canbus connection from the T10 plug pin 2 to cluster T32a (green) pin 18 and T10/3 to cluster T32a/19

Looking at it the early cluster takes W-line diagnostics input from ECU to T32a/5, but on late cluster the ECU diagnostics wire is tapped into the vagcom port pin 7 as well as cluster pin T32a/28 which is the k-line output for cluster diagnosis. So in a nutshell, just tap your ecu diagnostics straight to the port pin 7 and job done.

erreesse likes this.
  7. mupk0 New Member

So in general i must make a connection between pin7 at OBD to ECU, and run the 2 wires from the ecu loom to dashboard and all will work...
    do you think that there is a way to run pre facelift dash with the AUM Ecu?

8. rubjonny

the early dash should just plug in and work, all the ecu signals it needs are still there. pretty sure you will be able to code the immobiliser as well? if not just have it defeated

9. mupk0 New Member

Yesterday i give the ECU to a keymaker or locksmith...i dont know which word is more up to the sense of the job. They switch off the immo and now it fires up without problem. This news is superb. I want more prefacelift dash than postfacelift. I hate all the canbus light checks and etc that fires up with facelift loom on non facelift car

10. Nightroamer Forum Member

Hi All,

Ok so i will be running an AGU engine on Emerald K3 management.

I have been through the AGU engine loom and tested all wires to make sure they are good, from this i will only remove the speed sensor wiring, and either re-use the barometer wiring for the MAP sensor or remove and run new wires for this.

Few questions though, power wise, i am using the 14 way plug and vehicle side wiring to provide Main earth (back to battery) along with Coil power, Injector Power and Power for valves (just n75 on the AGU i think)
    Also i need 2 power feeds for the ECU (one can be from a main relay controlled by the ECU if a suitable one is spare!? i was thinking ECU relay but do not think any outputs are fused)
    Can anyone advise where to take power from on the MK2 fusebox?
    I would like all to be fused for protection.

I can see G1/08 uses fuse 18 (20A) and G2/04 uses fuse 15 (10A)
    Would either of these suit?

Thanks

11. rubjonny

With the Emerald is it set so you have a switched live to trigger it, then the ECU earths the negative pin of the coil/ecu power relay? If so, the fused ignition feed (fuse 15) from G2/4 would be fine for the trigger pin, then wire a 53 relay for example in a holder above the fusebox. run the ecu trigger pin to 85, give it ignition live, run a fused live to 30 from Y spade then run pin 87 to the ecu main power plus coilpack T14a/8.

G1/8 is fed from the fuel relay so that wont be any use, but you could use it to feed lambda heater as per factory mk3 EFI.

erreesse likes this.
  12. Nightroamer Forum Member

yes this is exactly how it works, excellent i will source a fused relay etc for that then or a genuine vw fuse holder whichever is easier :)

How about the injectors?

sorry for all the questions, main reason is i am inexperienced with how much load the coils/injectors all put on the system.

thanks

13. rubjonny

Injectors would be powered by Z/1 on a mk2/3, its unfused so feel free to add one inline if you like even though VW never bothered :lol:

14. rubjonny

for VW relay and fuse holders what I do is pop to scrappy now and again and harvest all the mk3 golfs they have in, usually have a fair few. VW still stock them though, part numbers on the first post :)

VW fuse holders take standard timer pins which can be had from various places such as polevolt, farnel, ebay etc. relay holders are latched spades, just make sure you check what you get as some have 2 big spades which are suitable for VW 17/18/100/67/80/167 type relay. The normal ones take standard 4 termional switched type (e.g. #53)

erreesse and Nightroamer like this.
  15. Nightroamer Forum Member

Excellent thanks for the advice buddy, i will get on this now.

Whilst i have you, my N75 wires have snapped off flush with the pins, are these Junior power timer?

I need to order up some pins and a crimp tool so need the right one!
    Also much prefer to replace the pins in the F/G1/G2 connectors as the ones i have are cut off fairly short, rather replace the pins than splice the cables! [:^:]

Bit OCD haha

16. rubjonny

yep power timer for all of those except for the big ones in the fusebox which are standard timer. just fyi, the mk4 starter motor wire has the right pin on it for F/1, and the wire is about the perfect length in a mk2 ;)

new cable and crimped terminals is the best way to do it, and is the only VW approved repair :)

17. Nightroamer Forum Member

As always super helpful, i will get on this at the weekend :)

18. Nightroamer Forum Member

Hi RJ

Ok sooo....

I will be running G2/4 to the ECU as a power/trigger.
    I then have a 14 way fusebox i have split into 3 feeds (7 way, 4 way, 3 way) to give me some options for Perm power, ECU controlled Relay power and a spare for Ign switched power.
    I was intending on fitting a relay as you mentioned (53 type) next to my aux fusebox for the ECU switched power for Coils. Injectors, Valves etc.

What i want to know now is rather than an external relay, as i have this aux fusebox, can i utilise the now unused position 3 ECU relay holder?
    If so what connections do i use and where?
    I "think" the output is G1/10? not sure where i wire into the rest...
    Also will this output be ok for the amount of power the Inj/Coils etc will draw (via my aux fusebox)

thanks

19. rubjonny

Yep G1/10 is the ECU relay power output, if you want the emerald ECU to trigger it you can use a vr6/TDI 109 relay and out the ECU trigger to g1/7. Pop a fuse inline to protect the circuit in case the wiring cracks up or a coilpack goes bad

erreesse likes this.
  20. Nightroamer Forum Member

thanks man, what is special about the 109?